Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.97065°N / 10.33436°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9423 ft / 2872 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Greitzpitz Summit Cross with Fluchthorn (3398m)
Greitzpitz Summit Cross with Fluchthorn (3398m)

Greitspitze (2872m;N-NW Face)
Greitspitze (2872m;N-NW Face)
 

Greitspitze (or Greitspitz) is  located in the Samnaun Group and is sometimes called the home mountain of the famous ski resort Ischgl. Greitspitze is famous for its huge summit cross, which can be seen from far away. The mountain is located on the border between Austria and Switzerland and offers great views from the summit. You can see the Otztal Alps with Wildspitze and Weisskugel, the Silvretta Group with fluchthorn, The other Samnaun Group peaks like Stammerspitz and Muttler and the Ferwall Group with Kuchenspitze and Hoher Riffler.

Climbing Greitzpitz can be done all year long. In winter it is just a small side trip from the skiing slopes. The summit ridge is equipped with steel cables making the summit quite easy to reach. In summer there are multiple hiking trails leading to the base of Greitspitz. From the base of the summit block follow the ridge with the fixed cables  to the summit, which you will reach shortly after. Personally, I would recommend Climbing Greitspitz in winter, since the mountain is surrounded by the ski facilities of Ischgl. In summer this is not a pretty sight to say the least. 

Photo taken from path to the...
Greitspitze

Foto from the topcross on the...
Summit Cross

Photo taken from Hölltal.
Greitspitz from Holltall

Another variation for Climbing Greitspitz is the Via Ferrata / Klettersteig that leads along the North-West Face to the summit. This Via Ferrata is relatively short (120 vertical meter elevation gain), but quite difficult.  The route is graded C/D

Climbing Greitspitz is fairly easy. All hiking paths leading to the base of the mountain are graded T2, T3 at maximum and the short part from the base of the summit block to the summit cross is graded T3+ at max. The fixed cables can be used with Via Ferrata equipment, but this is not really neccessary. This section is short and easy, just a bit airy.

Greitspitz Summit Cross with Kuchenspitze (3147m) behind
Summit Cross with Kuchenspitze (3147m) behind

Beautiful Greitzpitz (9423 ft / 2872 m)
Beautiful Greitzpitz (9423 ft / 2872 m)


The actual summit of Greitspitz is not the summit with the large summit cross, it is located just south of the summit cross, but holds a top station of the Ischgl ski facilities. This real summit is a few meters higher. Still, if you want to climb Greitspitz, the summit that holds the summit cross is the main objective for most people. Although surrounded by all these ski facilities, especially in winter, Climbing Greitspitz can be rewarding because of its summit views and the presence of the immense and beautiful summit cross.


Route Description

Normal Route
Summer: From Ischgl with the Fimbabahn or Silvrettaseilbahn to the Idalpe(2311m). From Idalpe a hike to Viderjoch (2700m). Now you follow a path along the Austrian-Swiss borders (T2). This marked trail takes you to the base of the Greitspitze (2872m). It is also possible to tke hiking routes 12 and 13 from the Idalpe (2300m) to the base of Greitspitz (T2/3). A third option is to take the Flimjochbahn directly to the Viderjoch (2700m).
If you want to do this with children, you might want to use a short rope to secure them along the summit ridge! The last part from the base of the summit block to summit is described below.

Winter: Take ether the B4 or O1 lift to the summit of Greitspitz at 2871 meters. Go down along the slopes in a northern direction. You can see the large summit cross in front of you. Go to the base of the summit block and follow the ridge up.The firest part is somewhat steepish. After this steeper part the angle decreases. you can see the huge croos in front of you. All there is left between you and the summit is the narrow summit ridge, which is equipped with steel cables. Cross the ridge to reach the summit of Greitspitz.

Greitspitz Klettersteig
From Ischgl with the Fimbabahn or Silvrettaseilbahn to the Idalpe(2311m). Then you can take a marked trail to the base of the Greitzspitze.
A klettersteig brings you to the top of the Greitspitz(2872m). This can be done under the supervision of a state-qualified mountain guide.

Difficulty: D/E
Elevation gain: 120m
Time required: 2 hours
Orientation: NW
Ascending Greitspitze (9423 ft / 2872 m)
The steeper part on the summit ridge

Looking back on the ridge
Looking back on the ridge from the summit



When To Climb

Greitspitz can be climbed all year long. In summer Greitspitz is reached through the various hiking trails. In winter the ascent is shortened bij the Ski facilities (Greitspitzbahn). Because of the snow present the summit ridge is slightly more difficult though (T3+).

How to get There

The Starting point for climbing Visnitzkopf is either Ischgl or Samnaun. You can use the ski lift facilities in summer and in winter to reach the base of this mountain.

There are 3 ways to get to Ischgl from Germany:

-First of all take the A7 in Germany or the A95 heading south. Then on the Fernpassbundesstraße (B179) via Imst and Landeck, on the A12 motorway and continue on the S16 (Arlberg clearway) to the Pians exit. From here it is 20 kilometers on the main Silvretta road (B 188) to Ischgl.

-First of all take the A 93 in Germany heading for Innsbruck. Then take the Inntal motorway in Austria (A 12) via Kufstein, Innsbruck and Landeck on the S 16 (Arlberg clearway) to the Pians exit. From here it is 20 kilometres on the main Silvretta road (B 188) to Ischgl.

-First of all take the A96 heading for Lindau in Austria on the A 14. Then continue via Bregenz, Feldkirch and through the Arlberg tunnel on the S16 to the Pians exit.= From here it is 20 kilometres on the main Silvretta road (B 188) to Ischgl. In summer you can also exit the motorway in Bludenz and get to Ischgl via the Silvretta high Alpine road.

Getting to Ischgl from Switzerland:

-First of all take the A 3 to Feldkirch or the A 1 to Lustenau and Dornbirn. Then in Austria take the A 14 toward Innsbruck and continue through the Arlberg tunnel on the S 16 to the Pians exit. From here it is 20 kilometres on the main Silvretta road (B 188) to Ischgl. In summer you can also exit the motorway in Bludenz and get to Ischgl via the Silvretta high Alpine road.

How to get there: Samnaun
How to get there MAP: Samnaun

How to get there MAP Ischgl
How to get there MAP: Ischgl


Maps

Title: Swisstopo Map Ischgl

ISBN-13: 978-3302011592

Scale: 1:25.000


Title: Kompass 42 Samnaungruppe

ISBN-13: 978-3854910480

Scale: 1:50.000

Kompass 42: Landeck Samnaungruppe

Swisstope 1:25.000 Ischgl


Weather

Cableways


The Ischgl cableway prices and operating hours in WINTER: Click here
The Ischgl cableway prices and operating hours in SUMMER: Click here

The Samnaun cableway prices and operating hours: Click Here

Accomodation

Accomodation in Ischgl: Click Here
Accomodation in Samnaun: Click Here

Camping Sport Samnaun: Click Here

Labeled Summit Panorama

Enlarge
 
Greitspitz Summit Panorama



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Samnaun GroupMountains & Rocks