Grizzly Gulch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.91310°N / 107.5039°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Silver Creek and Grizzly...
From Silverton take rd 110 then take a right up Cinnamon Pass. Park at the Grizzly Gulch trailhead. From Lake City Drive up the American Basin to the Grizzly Gulch trailhead. Either way requires a 4WD.

Route Description

July 12, 1998
 Handies Peak
...
Elevation Gain: approximately 3650 feet.
Climb 2 miles on the Grizzly Gulch trail to the tree line at 11,800 feet. Leave the trail, continue west into the upper basin and ascend northeast-facing slopes to a 13,460-foot saddle on Handies' north ridge. Climb up the ridge to the summit.

Essential Gear

none, just a good set of hiking boots, the terrain is very rocky

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
wayneaflick

wayneaflick - Sep 14, 2002 4:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

To reach Grizzly Gluch trailhead from Lake City, travel south on CO 149 to the Lake San Cristobal Road. Turn right on the San Cristobal Road for just under 20 miles to the Grizzly Gulch trailhead. It is well marked with signs and there's an outhouse on the south side of the road. In good weather and with care, any auto can make the trip.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.