Grr Coulior

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.27727°N / 111.59341°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Grr (or White Cascade) Couloir is the western most of several couliors on Cascade Mountain's south face. It is a moderately steep, but sustained route gaining ~2500 feet (~800m) in approximately six-tenths of a mile (average angle around 35 degrees).
Looking Up Grr CouloirLooking up Grr Couloir.
Jan 2005 - White Cascade


It is a striking line, but one not easily seen from Utah Valley or Squaw Peak road. Consequently, it is even less frequently climbed than the mountain's other couilors.

Approach

In the Spring or Early Summer (the route is not recommended in full summer when the snow is gone) this route is easily approached on Squaw Peak Road. Park on squaw peak road 1/4 mile north up the road from the obvious gully leading to the Crow's Foot routes. The drainage leading up to the base of the route is not very big or prominent. You cannot see the couloir from the road.

Start bushwhacking here in a northeasterly direction.

Approaching the mountain during the winter means an extra hike up rock canyon, through the campground, up the road to the base of the route.

Route Description

From the Summer parking spot on Squaw Peak Roak, bushwhack northeast for about 10-15 minutes. At this point the lower part of the coulior is visible and the route is clear.

Climb the coulior for ~2500 feet to a small saddle.
Climbing Grr Couloir Climbing Grr Couloir, November 2010.

Midway up Grr CouloirClimbing Grr Couloir, November 2010.


Traverse north away from the sharp ridge directly adjacent to the saddle, and climb up to the South Summit.

If there is any concern of debris loosening as the day goes on, descend via the South Summit Couloir or Upper Pole Couloir to the road, then walk back to the starting spot on Squaw Peak Road.

Essential Gear

Crampons, ice axe and helmet for potential falling debris.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.