Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.07207°N / 22.76882°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4373 ft / 1333 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Halicz (1333 m)
S side in summer - by Henryk
Halicz(1333)
S side in winter - by Tomek Lodowy
Halicz, at 1333m belongs in the eastern part of the Tarnica-Halicz Group (see map above right), and is the third highest peak in the Western Bieszczady. Once it was known, like many other Carpathian summits in Poland, as Patryja, which meant a good viewpoint. The name Mytrowe Rohy was also used. For centuries, until the end of World War II, in summertime the green slopes of Halicz were home to huge herds of oxen (nearly two thousand counted in 1913!). 
Halicz range
Right of center - from E - by agra
Halicz and Rozsypaniec summits
On the left - from W
The summit of Halicz is one of the best, if not the very best, vantage points in the Western Bieszczady. It offers better views towards the Ukrainian Carpathians than Tarnica. 
Evening on polonynas
View NW - by Tomek Lodowy
Dolina Gornego Sanu
View E - by Tomek Lodowy

Getting There & Routes

Mount Halicz ( 1333 m)
W slopes
On the summit of Mount Halicz (1333 m)
On summit

The summit can only be reached via the red trail, from the following two directions:

1. From the saddle below Tarnica, where there is an intersection of the marked trails. This takes almost 1.5 hours. (The saddle below Tarnica can be reached via blue marks from Wołosate or via red marks from Ustrzyki Górne.) The trail, at first joined by the blue trail, descends rather steeply from the saddle. After about 20 minutes the blue trail turns left, to run over Krzemień and Bukowe Berdo to Pszczeliny (about 4 hours away). The red trail skirts the ridge of Krzemień and then Kopa Bukowska to finally ascend Halicz.

2. From Wołosate via Przełęcz (Pass) Bukowska. The hike should not take more than three hours.Please see here.

A hike in the middle of the summer may not be a good idea as the trail often gets packed with tourists. However, it may not be so bad, at least until you reach the summit, if you start early and choose the trail via Przełęcz Bukowska.

Trailhead  Marks Time of walk up (hours) Totel elevation gain (meters) Remarks
Wołosate (SW)
red stripe
3
650
the best option of climbing Halicz as quickly as possible
Wołosate (SW)
blue/red stripe
4
700
via Tarnica Pass
Ustrzyki Górne (W)
red stripe
5
800
via Szeroki Wierch (1294m)
Muczne (N)
yellow/blue/red stripe
6
900
via Bukowe Berdo (1312m) and Krzemień (1335m)
Mytrowe Rohy?
Mytrowe Rohy?

Maps

Map of Halicz and Tarnica Group

For more information please see the parent page.

Red Tape & Camping

cross on the top of Halicz mountain (1 333 m.a.s.l.)
Summit cross
Shelter at Bukowska pass
Bukowska Pass


As most of the Bieszczady National Park area (70%) has the status of a strictly protected zone, public access is only allowed  via a system of waymarked tourist trails. Standard national park rules apply, like staying on the marked routes, not disturbing wildlife etc. The nearest campsite is at Wołosate.


An entry fee (nearly 2 euros in 2022) is charged.

Accommodation

Mountains in the evening
Halicz on the left - by Tomek Lodowy


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Western BieszczadyMountains & Rocks
 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.