Hanselsteig

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.84197°N / 16.07017°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: B (mostly A/B)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Hanselsteig is an easy, short but interesting via ferrata on Hohe Wand. It's an ideal choice if you are looking for some fun with your children.
Near to the upper end of the route there is a playground with jungle gym.
The whole tour can be done in two or three hours. The total elevation is 300 meters.


Getting There

From Wiener Neustadt drive to Stollhof. There take the Loderhofstrasse (Just before the great left curve of the main road in Stollhoff), and after about 1 km the Frankenhofstrasse. There is a small parking place with banks and a map.

Route Description

There is about 30 minutes of walk to reach the rock. The path is well marked.
At the foot of the wall there is a wide ledge. The secured part starts here. The first part is just like a stairway, with cables serving as handrail. Smaller kids will require some aid here as the steps are sometimes a little bit too high for them.
Having a rest at Karnitsch Stüberl
After a right turn the path leads to Karnitsch Stüberl, a nice resting place with good panorama.
The following secion is quite easy. The path leads through a small wooden bridge, and after a few steps turns right.
Here comes the "most difficult part", the so-called Hanselkamin, with some iron steps first and a slightly tilted vertical ladder.
All my family on the ladder

After the ladder there are no more difficulties. The path leads us to an asphalted road.
There are two alternatives for descent:
One can turn left on the road while reaching the signs for "Leiterlsteig". It's an easy path with a few secured spots.
If you turn right, shortly there is a wide path deviating slightly right again from the asphalted road. After a hundred meters or so there is a playgroung with jungle gym.
Another ten minutes of walk and a sign shows the start of "Bründlriessteig". This will guide you back to the parking place.

Essential Gear

For smaller children it is advisable to wear a harness with a shorter and a longer sling with carabiners. The shorter is for them (they can learn how to use it), the longer is for the escorting parent to make it sure they are really secured:)

External Links

A description in German with photos and topo can be found at bergsteigen.at

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hohe WandRoutes