Währingersteig

Währingersteig

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.85722°N / 16.09061°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: medium difficult ferrata
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Währingersteig is a short and very pleasant via ferrata in the north-eastern part of the Hohe Wand‘s massif. The route overcomes about 40 meter high steep rock face and is lightly and quickly come-at-able from a car park. The lower part of via ferrata is hidden in wood. The upper part with a steel ladder is visible from great distance. Währingersteig is a medium difficult ferrata (difficulty C by the Austrian scale) and is suitable like a „warm up” via ferrata when you want to climb via ferrata routes in the Hohe Wand.

Währingersteig
The vertical ladder

Währingersteig
The lower part
Währingersteig
The vertical ladder
Währingersteig
The lower part

Getting There

From A2-highway (Wien-Graz) you have to take the exit 38 Wöllersdorf, direction to Markt Piesting, then turn left to Dreistetten. From the car park in Dreistetten (P on the below) take a road in fields towards the cave Einhornhöhle. The trailhead of Währingersteig is in a wood on the right side from the cave. It takes about 20 minutes from the carpark to the trailhead.
Währingersteig
Währingersteig

Währingersteig
The Währingersteig map (www.austrianmap.at)



Route Description

The first part leads in a vertical rock face protected with steel rungs and cables (difficulty C). Then continues a traverse below an overhanging rock. This traverse is ended with a vertical steel ladder. Approach to the ladder is a little disagreeable (dificulty B/C). The ladder in vertical face is a bit more exposed (difficulty C) and not protected (only the ladder, without a steel cable). The last part of the route over the ladder is an easy climbing with good holds and steps and some steel rungs (difficulty A/B) and is protected with steel cables. Whole via ferrata takes about 30 minutes.
To descent take a footpath alongside the cave Einhornhöhle and then take the road back to the car park. It takes about 30 minutes.

Währingersteig
The lower part
Währingersteig
The traverse
Währingersteig
The traverse
Währingersteig
The upper part

Essential Gear

  • complete via ferrata equipment (via ferrata set, a helmet, gloves) and good shoes
  • the route isn’t appropriate for people sufferring from vertigo

External Links




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hohe WandRoutes