Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.02044°N / 116.16761°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Enforcer, 5.9*
Enforcer, 5.9*

Miramonte’s extensive local guide places Hit Man Rock in the "Roadside Rocks" grouping.  In reality, although not far from the road, it is part of the Outback collection.  Hit Man and Labor Dome were the final features I had yet to climb in the Outback but I found their small collection of routes as good as any in this area.  Labor Dome is located directly across the desert floor from Hit Man Rock, which faces northeast.  If climbing in the winter, start off on Hit Man’s routes and switch over to Labor Dome for a decent day of trad climbing.

The Enforcer, 5.9*, is a good 5.9 corner crack lead for the budding trad leader breaking into that grade at Jtree.  It is simple and straight forward although the crux is early and low.  The Bruiser, 5.10b**, did not seem to warrant the double star recommendation in Miramontes guide.  The rock was not of good quality and it is a challenge to protect.  There are no fixed anchors atop this wall as of 2019.  You can easily scramble down gullies at either end.

Park at the side pull out on Park Blvd just west of the “Intersection”, on the north side of the road.  Circumvent Watanobe and the Hot Tub formation to the left (east).  Turn right into a short valley and Hitman Rock is to the south and Labor Dome to the north (photos).  10 minute approach. 

Routes Listed Left to Right as Facing the Northeast Facing Wall

Enforcer- 50’-5.9*/ An aesthetic varnished crack on the left side of the wall.   The crux is pulling out of a flared crack near the beginning.  Medium to large gear anchor.  To walk off, burrow through a hole out back (kind of fun unless you are fat) and scramble down a gully to the east.  Single rack to C4 #4.  Dow

Sniper- 50’-5.11a/

Biscuit Eater- 50’-5.10a/

Skinwalker- 50’-5.10c/

Bruiser- 70’-5.10b**/ Cruxy start via suspect gear.  Take flared nuts.  The first meter or two are easy and then cruxy climbing with delicate feet and flared shallow cracks lead to an open crack which widens at the top.  Medium to large gear anchor.  Scramble down the west end.  Dow



Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.