Hochschober SE ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.94480°N / 12.69760°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Mixed
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Medium difficult walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The route begins either at Hochschober Huette (2322 m) or at Lienzer Huette (1974 m).

From Hochschober Huette you proceed by the main valley towards the North-East. In half an hour you reach Westliches Leibnitztoerl (2573 m) and a beautiful Gartlsee (lake) beyond it. From there it's only a few more minutes to Oestliches Leibnitztoerl (2591 m), where the path from Lienzer Huette joins.

From Lienzer Huette you ascend moderately by Debanttal (direction NW). After half an hour you reach the crossing. You proceed by the left path (towards the West) and ascend through a broad valley to Oestliches Leibnitztoerl (2591 m), where the path from Hochschober Huette joins (2 hours).


View Hochschober SE Route in a larger map

Route Description

Hochschober (E)view for route analysisDomiterLori - The SE route goes on top through the ravine and above over the snowfields in the line of the main summit.
From Oestliches Leibnitztoerl (2591 m) you proceed by a marked path towards the North. This is the joint approach for Schobertoerl (2905 m) and for our SE approach on the summit of Hochschober. After gaining approximately 100 m of altitude the path branches. The South-East approach turns left (direction West) and ascends over screes in a broad valley, where snow rests lie. A snow tongue usually ends in a crumbly ravine and our marked path proceeds through it more and more steeply. On the upper part the slope is usually again covered by snow, so if we have an ice-pick and crampons, we can ascend directly up, otherwise the path turns to the left and reaches the South-East ridge of Hochschober, which is usually free of snow. Following the ridge you then scramble to the top. From Oestliches Leibnitztoerl 2 hours.

For a descent the same route is possible, but of course it is much more awarding to use one of other routes, for example the Staniska Scharte route. In my opinion the reverse combination is much more beautiful.

Essential Gear

In summer or autumn you will not necessarily need ice-pick and crampons, but it is useful to have them anyway. When slopes are icy or covered by snow a complete equipment is necessary.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.