Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.04494°N / 113.50877°W
Additional Information County: Granite
Additional Information Elevation: 7608 ft / 2319 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

"Huff-Puff" is not a well-known mountain. It is actually a foothill of the Pintler/Anaconda Wilderness. What is special about it, is that the summit has an unimpeded view of the beautiful snow-covered peaks of the nearby Pintler range. In fact, from the summit of "Huff-Puff", the mountains look so close, you could almost touch them!

It is called "Huff-Puff" by former interns at a local organization, because It is very steep at certain sections on the trail. The hike is about 2 miles from the trailhead, and about 1,600 feet up. The hike is in the woods, but the top is a green, flower-covered meadow with 180 degree views.

The top of Huff Puff. Warren...
The top of Huff Puff. Warren...


Getting There

You can reach the trail by traveling down I-90 toward Missoula until you hit Route 1. Then take Route 1 to rt-38(AKA-skalkaho pass) Take rt-38 for 9 miles until you get to Moose Lake Road. Take a left on Moose Lake Road, (a dirt road) and drive 12 miles to the base of the mountain. You need to find a place to park, which you can find within a mile of the trailhead. There are several parking areas along the side of the road.
The trail begins right before you reach a private street. Driving towards the mountains on Moose Lake Road, the street is on the left. You walk a few yards, and then hang a left and go up a steep, steep trail. It leads you to the summit.

Red Tape

This is a good warm up hike for the Pintlers. It is a great place to get some killer photos as well. In the summer all you need is some good hiking shoes. It is hard to get to at other times of the year. It might be icy, and at other times and require some mountain gear.

When To Climb

Climb in the summer when Moose Lake Road is open and functional.

Camping

Do not camp on Huff-Puff. Camp in the surrounding wilderness areas.
Moose Lake road is frequently traveled, so road conditions are at least made tolerable for inhabitants of the area. Camping is permitted throughout the wilderness area, although regulations from time to time may limit camping around popular day hiking destinations. Additional camping is found at several designated campgrounds on the east and west sides of the mountains. Abundant informal campsites also exist all around the wilderness area. More information on camping


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Anaconda RangeMountains & Rocks