Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.04810°N / 113.2156°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 10472 ft / 3192 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Howe
[img::aligncenter:medium:]Mt. Howe is the second Highest in the Anaconda Pintler Wilderness Area.
Compared to the other 10,000 footers in the Wilderness, Mt. Howe is probably the least climbed, but in August of 2004 a climber did put a summit jar on the top, with only three signs on it for 2004, as of November.update,, more sig have been added as of May 2009.

The Peak itself has three semi defined Ridges or Routes that all can be done in one day, with the East Ridge being the easiest of the three, and entails about 4,100 feet of climbing on Class 2 and on an average of 6-10 hours to Trailhead and back.

And with most Mountains in the Pintlers the North East / West faces always being the toughest out of them to get up, and always holds their snow the longest.


Getting There

--From Anaconda drive East on Hwy. 1 to the Wisdom turnoff take a RIGHT here.

--Now driving on Hwy 43 an old bumpy road going over the Continental Divide, travel this road for about 20 or so miles and you will want to take a RIGHT turn at the bridge with the Forest Service sign stateing Seymour Lake.

--Your now on a dirt road it is 6.8 miles to the Trailhead which is Trail #9 part of the Continental Divide Trail.

--Park your truck here, there is a nice turnaround spot here along with a stock yard for horses and trail and camping information, the Trailhead is located at (N 45* 59.492')-----(W 113*10.986') and at an elevation of 6,487 feet.

More Route information

[img::alignleft:small:]SECTION 2 OF THE EAST RIDGE ROUTE:

Now your hiking on Trail #9 going West , this is a very good trail so you should be able to make good time on it.

You will hit a Trail Junction poorly marked at (N 45* 59.924')-----(W113*59.924') and at an elevation of 6,914 feet, you will want to keep going straight at this spot, keep headin on up the trail for about 3.2 miles in total.

--When you hit an elevation of around 7,200 feet or so you want to leave the trail and go bushwacking North up through the Lodgepole timber. Keep going up until you hit the tree line around 9,100 feet and you will be able to see the East Ridge from here, head on up the talus slope Class 2 rock to gain the East Ridge. I leave the trail at (N 46*01.324')-----(W 113*13.317) around 7,200 feet or so.

--When you gain the East Ridge, follow the Ridge West along Class 2 rock. your close to the summit now.

When To Climb

Mt. Howe
This mountain can be done before other 10,000 footers in the area in Spring and the Route listed above is usually free of snow around mid June.

The best months for casual Peak Baggers is from late June to late September.

If you try it in Winter have you gear shuttled up the 6.8 miles to the Trailhead, the road is snowed in until mid-late May, and the Route would be a good safe snow climb in winter conditions, weather permitting.

Camping

If you so desired to make this a two day climb, camping at the a Tarn on the West side of the Mountain would offer a solitude camp compared to the somewhat busy Upper Seymore Lake trail and Lake.

You can build a fire at both places if you wish, but use your stove and reduce the impact to the land.

Mountain Conditions

This mountain is straight forward when climbing the East Ridge, rock fall here is very seldom seen or heard and the boulders seem solid compared to other local peaks.

No tech. skills are needed to complete this climb and offers a good first 10,000 footer for new comers, and for more experianced climbers as well, however their are Routes on this Peak for the experianced on the North West and East Faces, but the rock is bad.