Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 24, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

A Hike to Arizona's Highest Peak

Humphreys Peak TrailTrail Register
This hike was both difficult and exciting. It was difficult, not only because a climb like this is strenuous for a kid like me, but the fact that it had started to hail on the way back. There was my dad, his friend Eric, and me. Mostly, Eric would just blabber about politics and the president while we hiked.
Humphreys Peak TrailTrail Signs


The distance part of the hike wasn't the hard part, the hard part was the elevation gain. The mountain had kept tricking me into what I thought was the top. We just kept gong higher and higher and higher...

The flora was nice though, there were some wildflowers, some pine trees, and many meadows on the way up. Not many animals, just a bird here, and a squirrel there. The trail was in great condition, and there were nicely placed steps at the steep areas.
Humphreys Peak TrailWild Iris


The top of the mountain was amazing, despite the hike, you could practically see all of Arizona at the top. Bonus points, too because it was a clear day.
Humphreys Peak TrailHumphreys' Summit


As we were going down, we saw another mountain, and decided to climb it. Dad and Erik were loving it, but I for one hated it. Erik was all enthusiastic about the hike, but when he saw the "NO CROSS-COUNTRY" sign, he started to chicken out, but nevertheless, he made it.

There were a lot of people we passed on the way down, some big, some small. There were some kids younger than me climbing this mountain, and I was amazed.

All in all, the hike was very fun, and every time I think of Humpherys peak, I can say that I had conquered it.

Further Reading

My Dad's Trip Report

Comments

No comments posted yet.