Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.33508°N / 121.3174°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 6414 ft / 1955 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hurricane Peak from Boulder Lake


Hurricane Peak located high above very recently popular Boulder Lake is quiet a daunting and majestic peak rising nearly 1500 feet over the lake. From the lake Hurricane Peak looks like a possible Class 4 or Class 5. But looks are very deceiving for this mountain. Hurricane Peak is just barely has one easy Class 3 section and actually quiet easily accessible to reach the summit of the mountain. That being said the peak doesn't see many visitors as shown by the summit log in which we were the first to sign in three years with another party rising to the summit on the day we were there.

The correct gully


As for the route to the summit you want to take the recently renovated unnamed trail (formerly a fisherman's trail to Boulder Lake) up to Boulder Lake. Thank the WTA for really fixing the trail and actually making this trail much more of a gem than it used to be in the past. Take this trail all the way up to Boulder Lake. Towards the end it makes be hard to spot because it crosses a number of Talus fields up to the lake. Once at Boulder Lake look for the obvious gully just to the right of the Hurricane Peak summit. It looks very imtimidating from that viewpoint but it is no more than 45-50 degrees and Class 2. It is accessible but a pain to get in that you either travel north or south of the lake but it will require traversing over numerous talus and scree field. From both sides these rocks can be loose and require some caution.

Going down the correct gully


Once at the gully you want to head straight up the gully. I would recommend a helmet here just to protect your head from possible rock fall here. Rise up 1100 feet up the gulley as it transition from talus to scree and to finally mixed scree and dirt. Once you near the top of the gully head up the through the trees for the easiest out of the gully. Once out of the gully you will be on the other side of the mountain. You will want to head to the left and traverse the side until you see a grassy steep dirt area semi-ledge to the summit area of Hurricane Peak. This ledge are you rise to the summit is barely Class 3 at best but can be quiet steep if still covered in winter.

Hurricane Peak Views


It should be noted that this mountain might be a decent climb in spring with snow but the last section might be quiet steep with snow on it. The gully filled with the proper snow might present some good glissade opportunities. In high avalanche danger though I would totally avoid this peak especially through the gully because it is highly likely that gully will have an avalanche.

Hurricane Peak Views


There is also another possible route through the gap by Boulder Benchmark another prominent area. This would consist of traversing a low angle talus field to the summit of Hurricane Peak. It would be longer but would avoid a number of talus crossings and would be an easy side traverse to the summit of Hurricane Peak.

Where did the creek go

Getting There

FROM DARRINGTON: Take 530 7.4 miles from Darrington to Suiattle Road, Once you go over bridge make a right onto the Suiattle Creek Road for 8.2 miles on the Suiattle Road. Form there you will see the Tenas Creek Road (National Forest Road 2660) on your left.Take the Tenas Creek Road 7.2 miles to bridge washout by Tenas Creek. The last stretch is rougher and is difficult for average clearance vehicles to navigate. Park on the side on the area of the bridge washout.

Red Tape

None due to parking area not being a "official" trailhead spot

Camping

Both Pear Lake and Boulder Lake have a number of good camping areas by them. Despite this are for a long time being not too well known I saw at least ten tents while up there. Fishermen love this lake for fishing!

External Links

Here is a link to current trail conditions in the region

Weather Conditions






Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.