Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.65044°N / 113.75107°W
Additional Information County: Box Elder
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8490 ft / 2588 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ingham Peak is located in the very remote Grouse Creek Mountains in the northwest corner of the state. If you are looking for solitude, this is the peak to go for. It is the second highest point in the range. Red Butte, to the north, is the high point at just over 9,000 ft. You can easily bag both peaks in one day because the dirt road access goes right to the base of the peaks. The longest part of any of the hikes out in this area is the drive. Located approximately 142 miles northwest of Ogden, Utah, there is plenty of wide open views of the northwestern part of the state. There are also excellent views south toward Pilot Peak and the Salt Flats. The majority of the driving is on paved interstate and two lane highways. The last 11 miles or so is on dirt road, with the last 2 miles being pretty rough. I would not recomend passenger cars the last 2 miles at all. Four wheel drive is not necassary, but depending on when you go, it would be wise to have it. High clearance would be necessary, because there are a few spots when an oil pan could be lost. Make sure you have a full tank of gas and extra just in case. The town of Snowville along I-84 is a great place to top of before heading out. Once on the dirt roads, private property is well marked with signs and fences. This is also BLM land and is marked so, with advisory to respect the range and not to go trapesing off the graded roads.


Route From the parking at Ingham Pass, it's an easy 867' up the northeast ridge to the summit in .97 miles. Too easy!


Getting There

From the north Head north on I-15 to Tremonton, where you transition to I-84. Continue northwest to the small town of Snowville. Take the second Snowville exit. Turn left over the freeway onto SR-30, heading west for 16 miles. Turn left at SR-30/42 junction and head southwest on SR-30 passing through the ranching communities of Park Valley and Rosette. Approximately 42 miles after the junction, you will come to an intersection with a dirt road. On the left you will see piles of dirt for road maintennace. Take the right turn. There is a mailbox there for the Rosebud BLM Field Office. Follow this road, staying to the right at all intersections for approximately 11 miles to the parking area at Ingham Pass. Ingham peak is to the south. Start hiking up the northeast ridge from there.

From the south Travel west on I-80 toward Wendover, taking the exit fot the Bonneville Salt Flats Raceway. Turn right, heading north for approximately 1.5 miles to the big turn in the road. Turn left to the northwest and continue north for approximately 54 miles, passing Pilot Peak, to SR-30. Turn right, heading east, the curving northeast for 24.25 miles to the Rosebud BLM Field Office tourn off to the left. Continue as described in the northern access.

Red Tape

No permits or fees are required. Just be respectful of the BLM and private property signage and fences.

Camping

There are no designated camping spots, and there is no idications that it is not allowed. But, I would be very careful due to the proximity of private property. There is overnight camping allowed at Locomotive Springs Wildlife Management area approximately 50 miles to the west. No fees required. There is also the campground at Clear Creek on the north slope of the Raft River Mountains, approximately 58 miles to the northeast. Forest service overnight camping fees apply.

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Northern Utah RangesMountains & Rocks