Izta(IZtaccihuatl) 5230m

Izta(IZtaccihuatl) 5230m

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 17, 2012
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

Add Heading Here

After our acclimatization hike on Nevado de Toluca,on our third day in Mexico we start to drive from Toluca to Amecameca,our next stop for Izta(Iztaccihuatl).
Highway view of Izta
The highway gets busier before getting in Amecameca.
After we arrived in Amecameca,found our hotel,hotel San Carlos,famous hotel for climbers and started to look for fuel and stove in the city,was a hard job,at the end we just bought a regular fuel that found in superstore.After few hours our friend Shane from Vancouver,arrived at the hotel,so we went out to find some good food and sort out the gear for our next climb.
The next day we met a guy from Toronto that was climbing solo,and was also planning to go for Izta the same day,so we decided to give him a ride to Paso de Cortes.
After few hours we took our permits for Izta,the information centre is very close to hotel San Carlos and start our drive to Paso de Cortes,a very steep road.At Paso de Cortes we saw some incredible views of all big peaks,and there we paid our park entrance,for 3 days was 81 pesos per person.
Afer we got everything we started to drive on the off-road to La Joya,it took us around 20 minutes.
At La Joya there were few cars,and a group of climbers that just started their climb.
Group photo at La Joya

We went for a small hike up,and made some food before making our camp spots near the car.
Climbing Izta
Next day after a long 12 hours sleeping night,we waked up,packed our heavy bags with lots of water for 2 days and for cooking and started our climb to Los Cien Hut.Took us 4 an half hours to get there,in the hut was only another team of 2 climbers,which was perfect.
View from Grupo de Los Cien hut
Sunset at Grupe de Los Cien Hut

We sorted our gear for the climb,made some food and went early to bed.
Next morning,3:15 the alarm clock is on,so in 30 minutes we start our climb to Izta.Cold,windy,steep and loos terrain from the hut,was horrible.But then we had some great views of some lava coming out of Popo,and a great sunrise with views of Orizaba,La Malinche,Popo.
Popo shadow

After one hour we reached our first glacier,and started to feel the smell of Popo,then we took the wrong route,and end up on some steep terrain.
After another hour we reached the Ayoloco Glacier,and reached the ridge going to the summit,at that point I started to feel a small headache,but was gone after few minutes.After hours of going up and down at 5000m we finally reached the summit of Izta 5230m,everybody was exhausted,tired,sick,cold,we made fast a summit photo and started to go down.
View of summit of Izta
Summit shot.Izta(Iztaccihuatl)
Glacier Ayoloco

After few hours of climbing down,and ending in some steep scrambling terrain we finally arrived at Los Cien hut and went to bed for 1 hour,and soon we started to pack our gear,garbage and get down to the car,because the gate is closing after 9 PM.
Going back to the hut
Popo erupting
Way down to Grupo de Los Cien Hut


And here is a video of this climb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fa00CzLxtk&list=UUNPpAOh2oABlLqndZ7fNftQ&index=2

Comments

No comments posted yet.