Janna Nurai

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.48070°N / 9.53240°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike and Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Lula take SP3 east (direction Passo Santa Anna). 6km after the town on the right hand side first a dirt road (route to Janna Nurai), a little later a marked trail (Sentiero Italia) turn off. Park the car at either of the trailheads they are only 500m from each other.

Route Description


Punta Catirina photo_id=90349

Altitude difference: 580m
Duration: 3h
Difficulity: Hike and trailless scramble - you'll need a good sense for orientation
Trailhead: At SP 3 between Lula and Passo Santa Anna

Probably the more pitturesque of the two routes I have done, this route follows a dirtroad below the west face of Punta Catirina. Together with the views towards Monte Turuddo this makes for pure enjoyment. But once in the pass all trails stop (a mark now and then doesn't count) and you'll have to scramble the remaining 600m trailless to the summit. There are lots of hidden gullies so that you'll really need a good sense for orientation - even though you have the summit in front of your eyes permanently.

Follow the dirt road, which leads south(west) from road SP3. It first runs along meadows below the west face of Punta Catirina and heads towards Monte Turuddo. At an intersection take the left hand road which heads in the direction of Janna Nurai, the saddle between Monte Turuddo and Punta Catirina. Here you'll see quite some bizarre limestone rocks with (new!!) bolts to do some bouldering. From the pass turn left and head trailless towards Punta Catirina. Don't aim for the summit, rather for the shoulder between Punta Manna to the right and Punta Catirina to the left. There you'll meet the route from Campo 'e Sussu and scramble along to the summit.

Both routes can (and should) be combined since the trailheads are very close together.

Essential Gear


Normal hiking gear - boots with thick soles are essential - is enough. Bring warm clothes - though the summit is not very high its proximity to the sea ensures high winds. And having started from sea level one sometimes forgets about temperatures in higher altitudes.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.