Punta Catirina loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.48089°N / 9.53190°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: EE
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Punta Catirina loop

 

Monte Albo aka Montalbo is one of the most spectacular limestone mountain ranges in Sardinia and is located in the NE sector of the island, more precisely in the Baronìe region between Nuorese and Gallura. It is characterized by a 13 km long ridge line, with NE-SW direction and an average height of over 1000 m, on which various peaks stand out.  The highest ones are Punta Catirina and Punta Turuddò. These two peaks face each other and have a peculiarity: they are both 1127 m high.  The chain derives its name - "albo" means "white, candid" - to the light color of its limestone rocks.

Punta Catirina fascinating landscape
Punta Catirina fascinating landscape

Here is described a circular walk allowing to reach the summit of Punta Catirina. It is an amazing hiking itinerary which, passing through the magnificent Su Campu 'e Susu plateau, leads to the peak of Punta Catirina, the highest elevation of the whitening massif of Monte Albo.
The route first runs on a clear and well-marked path, on rocky ground in the last part of the climb below the summit and again on a path, sometimes detrital, in the descent to Nurai.

Nearing the summit of Punta Catirina
Nearing the summit of Punta Catirina

 

Getting There

The proposed route starts from the road SP3 connecting the town of Lula to Sant'Anna. From Lula exit in the NE direction, driving along the state road n. 3 until reaching the km. 20 (blue signpost). After about 500 meters from the kilometric signpost, park your car in a small parking lot on the left with limited space (600 m).

Overview over the Monte Albo...
Overview over the various peaks of Monte Albo - Photo Gangolf Haub

Route Description

The Campu 'e Susu plateau seen from Punta Catirina
The Campu 'e Susu plateau seen from Punta Catirina

 

 

Punta Catirina loop

Difficulty: E  
Difference in level: 527 m
Starting point: km. 20 on the road SP3, altitude 600 m

 

An amazing hiking loop passing through the magnificent Su Campu 'e Susu plateau and getting the summit of Punta Catirina.

 

 

 

 

From the road SP3, take the fairly wide and well-marked path on the right side (coming from Lula) that climbs into the dense wood From the road, take the fairly wide and well-marked path on the right side (coming from Lula) that climbs into the dense and rich forest of holm oaks. You reach a first crossroads in the holm oak wood with wooden signposts , where you ignore the left branch for Usurtia and proceed straight on following the signpost for Campu 'and Susu. After some turns in the woods, the forest begins to thin out and the path accomplishes a panoramic traverse leading to a rocky ridge where the view of the surrounding hills opens up. 

Punta Catirina, first crossroad in the holm oak forest
Punta Catirina, first crossroad in the holm oak forest
Exiting the holm oak forest, Punta Catirina
Exiting the holm oak forest, Punta Catirina

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Always keep right at subsequent branches. The sparse bush thins out more and more and you reach the spectacular plateau of Su Campu 'e Susu, large circular shelf colonized by a thin garrigue. Cross entirely the flat Su Campu' e Susu and then return walking uphill on rocky ground covered by holm oaks, junipers and shrubs.

Karst corridor near Punta Catirina
Karst corridor near Punta Catirina
Wooden signpost before the summit
Wooden signpost before the summit

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A kind of karst corridor leads to a saddle where there is a wooden signpost indicating Punta Catirina. About 10 minutes of climbing on easy rocky terrain leads to the beautiful summit and its particular summit signal, with a wide view of the surrounding mountains and the plain. From the top  go back down to the wooden signpost. A little further below some cairns indicate to proceed downhill in the opposite direction to that of ascent.

Punta Catirina, start of the alternative descent
Punta Catirina, start of the alternative descent
Karst trench along the descent, Punta Catirina
Karst trench along the descent, Punta Catirina

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The cairns guide us in the descent through a series of rocky slabs, at the end of which it begins again the path on debris. It descends quickly entering a sparse wood. At the various subsequent crossroads, always perfectly marked by wooden tables, always keep to the right.

Descent from Punta Catirina
Descent from Punta Catirina
Passage during Punta Catirina loop
Passage during Punta Catirina loop

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The path progressively heads towards the West reaching a rocky shoulder. Surrounded by beautiful limestone spiers, cross a wooden gate and then begin to descend on a dirt track that reaches the asphalted road. Take it to the right, starting the long return that will lead to the starting point.

White limestone rocks, Punta Catirina loop
White limestone rocks, Punta Catirina loop

 

 

You pass near some buildings and at a subsequent crossroads you always take the right, continuing until you enter the state road, which always taken to the right leads after about 800 meters to the starting point.

Essential Gear

Normal hiking gear with durable boots.

Red Tape

No fees no permits required

Nature

In the limestone environment of Monte Albo there are karst phenomena that have originated gorges, ravines, caves and overhangs. In addition to the landscape, the calcareous substrate also determines the types of vegetation associated with this type of substrate. The holm oak is the dominant wood especially at low altitudes, while in the warmer and more rocky areas the woods of Juniperus phoenicea, Olea europaea var. sylvestris and Pistacia lentiscus are the most represented and in the more open areas and at high altitude and in the sinkholes and karst fields Euphorbia dendroides and Santolina corsica. The presence of a large number of endemic species is noted.

The trees and the moon, Campu 'e Susu
The trees and the moon, Campu 'e Susu

From the point of view of the fauna on Mount Albo we find the mouflon, the wild boar, the golden eagle, the Sardinian goshawk and an endemism, the Monte Albo geotritone (Speleomantes flavus).

When to climb

Punta Catirina can be climbed all year round, however the best seasons are Spring and Fall.

Exiting Campu 'e Susu, Punta Catirina
Exiting Campu 'e Susu, Punta Catirina

Accomodation

Different possibilities of accomodation in Lula and surroundings. 

Meteo

Meteoblue Sardinia

Meteo ARPA Sardegna

Guidebooks and maps

Sardinia guidebook
Sardinia guidebook

 

 

 

 

- Sardegna - Maurizio Oviglia Guida dei Monti d'Italia  Club Alpino Italiano - Touring Club Italiano 1997 

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.