Su Campu 'E Sussu

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.48070°N / 9.53240°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Lula take SP3 east (direction Passo Santa Anna). 6km after the town on the right hand side first a dirt road (route to Janna Nurai), a little later a marked trail (Sentiero Italia) turn off. Park the car at either of the trailheads they are only 500m from each other.

Route Description


Punta Catirina photo_id=90362

Altitude difference: 580m
Duration: 3h
Difficulity: Hike

Trailhead: At SP 3 between Lula and Passo Santa Anna

This is a beautiful hike along an ascent route between Punta Catirina and Punta sae Mussinu. It follows part of the Sentiero Italia trecking trail but leaves it once the high plateau is reached.

Start out from the road SP3 along the marked Sentiero Italia. It quickly takes you up to a shoulder between Punta Catirina and Punta Sae Mussinu. The trail splits (there are signs) - turn left towards Punta Catirina. Some 15min afterwards you'll reach the Su Campu 'e Sussu high plateau and get a first impression of the karst landscape with its limestone rocks and boulders.

Turn right (west) and you'll see Punta Catirina directly in front of you. From this side rather unimpressive it can be distinguished from Punta Manna in the foreground by the improvised "cross" (rather a stick) on its top. You traverse the Campu 'E Sussu Meadow (which is where we encountered the orchids shown on the main page) - afterwards turn left into a shallow gully which runs along between Punta Manna and Punta Catirina. This takes you to a shoulder from which you'll be able to see Monte Turuddo and - behind it - the high Supramonte.

From the shoulder the trail vanished and you need a little bit of scrambling to get on the top. Once reached climb down a couple of meters on the western side to reach the massive west face drop.

Essential Gear


Normal hiking gear - boots with thick soles are essential - is enough. Bring warm clothes - though the summit is not very high its proximity to the sea ensures high winds. And having started from sea level one sometimes forgets about temperatures in higher altitudes.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.