Kandellen - Bonner Hütte

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.78502°N / 12.28271°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bonner HütteBonner Hütte somewhere ;-)

The route from Toblach / Dobbiaco is an easy hike along the south and south-west slopes of Toblacher Pfannhorn / Corno di Fana. However,, it scales 1500m in elevation if you start from the village and still about 1400m if you start from the bridge across Silvesterbach Creek near the hamlet of Kandellen. Most of the route runs across open pastures and only in the lowest parts the views are obstructed by trees.

The route is far less pupular than the northern one from Kalkstein (400m less elevation gain) so don't be shocked if you meet crowds of people on the summit, even though during your ascent you encountered no-one. The crowds concentrate on Toblacher Pfannhorn / Corno di Fana and the crest to its east. Gaishörndl / Cornetto di Fana and Hochhorn / Corno Alto are far less crowded. About 200m beneath the summit you find the small but picturesquely renovated Pfannhornhütte / Rifugio Corno Fana.

Getting There

See the main page for the Getting There Info. A good place to start is the bridge across Silvesterbach Creek some 4 km to the north of Toblach / Dobbiaco. From here you can start on a five summit daytour starting with Toblacher Pfannhorn / Corno Fana and ending with Roßzogel / Monte Cavallo.

Route Description

Kandellen and Prags DolomitesLooking towards Dürrenstein from the Kaandellen trailhead

  • General:
      - Start altitude: 1300m
      - Summit altitude: 2663m
      - Prevailing exposure: South
      - Type: Hike
      - Protection: none
  • Effort: 1500m
  • Power: 2 - Long with lots of elevation gain
  • Psyche: 1 - Easy
  • Difficulty: 1 - Easy
  • Orientation: 1 - Easy

    From Toblach / Dobbiaco follow the road into Silvestertal / Val San Silvestro, passing the village of Wahlen / Valle San Silvestro. After some 4km the road bends to the east and a bridge turns off to the north-west (possible parking place). Here a sign directs you across the bridge towards the hamlet of Kandellen, a loose assortment of farm houses and pastures, where you have a wonderful view towards the Prags / Braies Dolomites.

    At Kandellen the road bends east, following the whole pasture which finally ends behind a small restaurant. Here a few switchbacks lead you into an open forest. Still using a road the route climbs along the banks of the Talbach Creek up Golfental Valley (separating Pfannhorn from neighbouring Golfen) until you reach an intersection. Both branches lead to Toblacher Pfannhorn / Corno Fana. The left one, marked 25A leads through Golfental across Bergalm to the Pfanntörl Saddle. The right one - marked 25 - negotiates the slopes to the south of the summit, always following the support road for Pfannhornhütte / Rifugio Corno Fana, also Bonner Hütte.
    Sexten / Sesto Dolomites
    Haunold and Birkenkofel
    Golfen / Monte Calvo

    The latter route at first still runs through the pine forest but soon gets above the timber line. The hut is immediately visible to the south-west of the summit and an endless number of switchbacks takes you there. Cross the veranda of the hut (maybe paying a visit) and head out onto a narrow muddy path on its far side. It climbs the ridge between two valleys, getting steeper as you get higher. Already in sight of the summit a trail (no 44) turns off for Pfanntörl Saddle, from where the other route heads up. The summit path turns east and makes a beeline for the summit cross. For Gaishörndl / Cornetto di Fana simply turn northwards from the Pfanntörl Saddle. For Hochhorn / Corno Alto pass Gaishörndl to the east and head directly for the neighbouring summit to the west.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.