Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.33696°N / 11.05225°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8107 ft / 2471 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

In the western part of the Mieming Range there are lots of great names and popular summits lined up in a row like a string of pearls: Ehrwalder Sonnenspitze, Tajakopf, Grünstein just to name a few. The eastern part however is somehow neglected badly. Certainly Hohe Munde is throning at the eastern part high above Leutasch, but the other summits are widely unknown.

Or does anyone ever heard of Karkopf? If one would leave Hochplattig, the highest mountain of the Mieming Range, to the east, he or she would first come to Hochwand and then to Karkopf, an insignificant summit which is easy accessible and provides a prominent view.

Beside an excellent hike there are some climbing routes on the eastern side of Karkopf. My remembrance tells me something of about five routes with up to five or six pitches, all between 5.3 to 5.9 (UIAA IV – VI), including one or two easy routes for children. If anyone has more informations please contact me for completion of this page! (Or make an addition – whatever you want …)

Karkopf






Getting There

The starting point is Telfs at Inntal (Inn valley), a few kilometres west of Innsbruck. Follow the signs through the village to the north, later north-westerly, always heading to Strassberghaus. Soon the asphalt road passes over to a forest road. Follow this road through the forest for further 3 or 4 kilometres until reaching a car park called “Lucke” where you can leave you car.
Then follow the road for another half an hour to Strassberghaus which is a hut not open to public. From here the way becomes steeper for about one and half an hour when you reach New Alplhut (Neue Alplhütte).

An alternative way also starts at Inntal at the village Wildermieming and leads direct in northern direction. You go to the east round Ochsenberg on very steep ground and then again come to New Alplhut. I do estimate the length of this way with about one and half an hour. But I cannot provide any informations about the possibilities for leaving the car in Wildermieming.

Passing the New Alplhut there will be very good signs to Karkopf, first in northern direction up to an vantage point with a huge cross, then leading in western direction. You will ascent along the southern wall of Karkopf on a good way crossing a few gorges (easy scrambles). Within about 4 hours you come to the saddle west of the summit.
The summit of KarkopfSummit crags on Karkopf
A few meters to the east where a huge boulder can either be climbed or be avoided on a small path to the south (a light scramble included), then you finally reach the summit.
To the north you can see Wetterstein Range in its full length, to the south there are fine views to Tuxer Alps and Ötztaler Alps (At least I think so – we had heavy rain above the Inntal …).



Red Tape

There is no Red tape.

Please note: my last tour was in summer 2005. Since the car park at Lucke is situated deep in the forest it is possible that for circumstances of environment this car park is not accessible anymore! You should gain additional informations at New Alplhut.




Accomodation

At Telfs there are lots of hotels and pensions.

New Alplhut is very comfortable, situated very quiet and food and services are first class! Please note that New Alplhut is open for everyone but it is not a hut owned by the German Alpine Club DAV! A few metres beneath New Alplhut there is Alplhouse located in the woods. Alplhouse is a hut for self-supplier which is only open for members of DAV-sections Munich and Oberland.




External Links

Information on Telfs

From Strassberghaus to New Alplhut: a nice description of the way between these two huts

New Alplhut

For information on Alplhouse either the site of DAV or the site of Alplhouse






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mieming RangeMountains & Rocks