Ksudach volcano

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.80000°N / 157.53000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 3169 ft / 966 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Ksudach is is a caldera volcano that hat its last great eruption in 1907. The caldera has two lakes, lake Bolshoje, and lake Strubelja. The lake Strubelja lies within the eruption crater of 1907 (Strubel crater) and it is the headwater of the river Termalnja (but the water of the river is cold anyway...). Lake Bolshoje has no outlet, but it is connected with lake Strubelja through underground, as both lakes have exactily the same level. The beach of Lake Bolshoje is of warm volcanic ash.

Ksudach caldera is circular and has a diameter of about 7 km. Several smaller caldera, 3-5 km across, can be found in the northern part of this caldera. A huge lichen-covered ashfield extends to the north of Ksudatch.

Ksudach offers interesting geology and the possibility of remote wilderness hiking. Since it is a rather large caldera, the highest peak, which lies on the rim of the caldera is rather unspectacular.
A view of lake Strubelja from...View of lake Strubelja
Lake Strubelja and the...River Termalnja
the huge ashfield north of...Lichen fields

Getting There

Ascend to Ksudach caldera...Kamchatka high vegetation
Descent to the lake...Descent towards lake Bolshoje

This is one of the rather remote volcanoes of Kamchatka. There are no roads leading to Ksudach.

The easiest (and most expensive) way to reach the mountain is by helicopter flight. The warm beach of lake Kraternoe is a regular destination for tourist groups that are being flown in for an afternoon. This is a possibility to be dropped off / picked up at the mountain. Arrangements can be made with various tour operators in Petropavlovsk.

Alternatively, it is a six-day strenuous wilderness hike from Lake Kurliskoe, or a 10-day wilderness hike from the volcano Mutnovsky . 'Wilderness hike' means unmarked footpaths (if at all), no trails, and literally wilderness - you may not meet any other person throughout the hike. However, some tour operators do offer this 10-day hike from Mutnovsky to Ksudatch (or vice versa) as part of their program in a group of up to 10 clients with local guides.

Red Tape

A visa for Russia is required, it has to be registered within three days of arrival on Kamchatka. Registration can be done either at OVIR or at some hotels (e.g. Hotel Edelweiss in Petropavlovsk).

Ksudatch is not part of any specific national protection area, however all volcanos of Kamchatka are part of the UN Natural World Heritage.

When To Climb

Climbing and hiking is possible all year round. Summer months are most common for hiking/climbing.

Ksudatch is not really a climbing peak, the outside slopes of the caldera are not very steep and ascends can be done with regular hiking gear. However, there are no trails and the inner slopes of the caldera are rather steep.
Ascend to the Ksudach calera...Up on a steep snow field
On the highest point of the...Heavy winds
Trying to find the way down...Steep downhill

Camping

Camp at lake Kliuchevoe. We...lake Bolshoje

Camping is allowed anywhere. There are no huts. Unfortunately, at the shore of lake Bolshoe you will find the traces of afternoon barbecue groups who are not willing to take their trash home - make sure you don't do alike.

Mountain Conditions

South Kamchatka has mild climate which is strongly influenced by the two neighboring seas (Ochotsk Sea and the Pacific Ocean). Thus, thick fog builds up regularly, and expect strong winds at the caldera rim. Even volcanic rocks can get very slippery after heavy rain events.
A view from the west slope of...
Thick early morning fog at...
Lichens on volcanic debris

Miscellaneous Info

General information about self-organized traveling in Kamchatka can be found here:
Kamchatka Website



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kamchatka MountainsMountains & Rocks