Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 53.07000°N / 158.11000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 4045 ft / 1233 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


This is one of higher peaks in the south of Kamchatka-peninsula. It is located west-south from the city of Elizovo, closest setlement is the village Sosnovka 7.8 km from the peak. Sosnovka is just on the south from Elizovo, see the map.

Ostraja sopka as can be viewed from the range above Chutorskaja stream, April 2003.

The highest part is steep and rocky, in winter conditions there is ice and overfrozen snow.

Getting There


Flights to Kamchatka are described at the pages for Viljuchinskij volcano and at Klyuchevskaja sopka. From Elizovo airport you can take a car to the Moroznaja ski resort or to the village of Sosnovka. Moroznaja is just 7 km from Elizovo, whereas Sosnovka lies on the route to Termalnyj, and you have to turn right in Nikolajevka

Red Tape


Similar to other peaks and volcanos at Kamchatka. You need valid tourist Russian visa, registration at OVIR for all foreigners within three days after you fly in Kamchatka. All of it can be managed through several Kamchatka's travel agencies.

When To Climb


Ostraja sopka is accessible over the whole year.

Mountain Conditions


There are many routes and treks to Ostraja sopka and around, and three main can be described according to starting point (see details of routes at route section):

1. The "valley" route started at the Moroznaja ski resort and goes through the valley of river Polovinka.

2. From the village of Sosnovka.

3. From Sadovyj - part of Elizovo. Magnificent views during the route to five vulcanos located north from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskij.



Several maps of Kamchatka are accessible at:
Map server

Camping


The peak is easily reachable, thus you can start in Elizovo. If you plan climbing also other peaks or trekking around, it is without any problem to set up a tent somewhere there. Just be careful with bears.

Equipment


During the winter you need crampoons, axes, and helmet as free stones fall down on ribs and colouirs all over the year. Sometimes it is better to use rope, and safety equipment in the highest part of climb. For snow climbs, skiing and snowboarding, it is necessary to carry avalanche transceiver, snow showel, and snow probe. During the summer only free stones can be a problem.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kamchatka MountainsMountains & Rocks