LA to Shasta to LA 48 hrs

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 25, 2006
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

This was my first time on the mountain and first time with a new partner. Drove 9 hours from LA, got to Bunny Flat at 7 AM and hiked to Helen Lake by 11 AM. Snow was very wet and soft. We tried to sleep to beat the heat, no luck. Watched a skier set off a small wet slide at 5 PM and made up our minds to leave very early Sunday morning. Up at 12:30 AM and on the trail by 2 AM. There was a string of lights high above us, some groups had set out at 1 AM. The snow was still soft but better going, we found some steps kicked in that were firm and made good time of it. Over took two groups on the climb to the red banks. The wind picked up on the way up misery hill and cooled thinks down just right. Now the snow was ice hard and perfect for climbing we were able to pass two more groups before reaching the summit plateau. Got to the summit at 6 AM and had to share with two other climbers who had come from the top of the red banks that morning. The shadow of the mountain made a pyramid shape to the west … what a site. Was able to make a phone call to my wife and wake her up, took a few pictures and signed the log. Craked open a couple of Red Bulls.
Red Bull

By 6:30 AM it was getting crowed and there was a line forming at the register… time to go. We must have passed at least 50 people on the way back to Helen Lake. In the car and headed back to LA by 11 AM .

We left LA at 9 PM Friday and got back just before 9 Sunday. What a way to spend the weekend!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
mauri pelto

mauri pelto - Jun 26, 2006 11:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Great day

What was the rush to get back to LA? Any glissading in the descent?

SkydiveKen

SkydiveKen - Jun 27, 2006 1:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great day

had to get back to work. Glissaded down the red banks a bit but stopped when I wore a hole in my pants.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2