MarkDidierNice Work

MarkDidier

Arthur-Thanks for putting a page together for MCNP. I would have loved to put together an Area page myself, but other than going on the Wild Cave Tour, I wasn't that familiar with the area - so I wouldn't have done the park justice. Thanks for including some of my pictures and attaching my album.

Regards,
Mark
Posted Nov 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Arthur DigbeeRe: Nice Work

Arthur Digbee

Thanks! And thanks for putting cave pictures up, we can't have a cave page without cave photos!
Posted Nov 18, 2008 5:58 am

dwhikeGreat Page

dwhike

I had recently looked down the NP list and noticed Mammoth Cave was missing...and a couple weeks later here it is! Gotta love SP. Went exploring here a bit as a young kid but don't remember much. Might be a nice short trip one of the next few years...fall looks like the time to go! Great add, Cheers!
Posted Nov 17, 2008 10:43 am

Arthur DigbeeRe: Great Page

Arthur Digbee

Thanks!

It's a bit of a drive from your current location -- I'd hit the Porkies instead if I were you. Not that there's anything wrong with MCNP...
Posted Nov 18, 2008 10:17 am

cp0915I Love MCNP!

cp0915

Nice addition! I haven't been there in years, but my early visits there are among my first (and best) outdoor memories!
Posted Nov 18, 2008 9:28 am

Arthur DigbeeRe: I Love MCNP!

Arthur Digbee

Thanks! It's been great to hear from MCNP's many fans on SP!
Posted Nov 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Mark DoironThanks, Arthur!

Mark Doiron

Thanks for the Mammoth Cave page, Arthur; it's now officially linked into the National Parks list! --mark d.
Posted Nov 18, 2008 5:31 pm

BobSmithGreat!

BobSmith

Nice post on an area under represented on summitpost!
Posted Nov 18, 2008 7:04 pm

lcarreauI don't like taking

lcarreau

guided tours in caves. I love to stumble around in the dark on my
own! I did make it out to Carlsbad Caverns, but I've never been
to Mammoth Cave. Thanks for the valuable information.

Larry
Posted Nov 18, 2008 7:44 pm

rebelgrizzMammoth Cave

rebelgrizz

Been to Mammoth Cave twice....once as a child (one of my favorite childhood memories) and once as an adult. Never got to spend as much time there as I would've liked. You could spend days there and not see it all. Good job!
Posted Nov 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Arthur DigbeeRe: Mammoth Cave

Arthur Digbee

Thanks, rebelgrizz (and everybody)! It's been great seeing how many people have memories of this special place.
Posted Nov 19, 2008 8:21 pm

woodsxcThanks

woodsxc

Thanks for making a great page Arthur. Went to Mammoth Cave a few years ago while on a family trip to Kentucky. Our tour guide was creepy, she kept telling us stories about people getting lost and not surviving and then laughing about it. But the cave was one of the most amazing places I've ever been.
Posted Nov 21, 2008 12:47 pm

indianabobincorrect maps

indianabob

Thanks for posting the warning about the incorrect maps of the backcountry in the park. I knew the Trails Illustrated map was not quite right, but had no idea the NPS website map was inaccurate as well. I'm leaving tomorrow for a three day trip, so this page has been a huge help. Once again, thanks and nice job on the page as a whole. I'll post a TR and a couple of photos when I return
Posted Nov 27, 2008 5:12 pm

Arthur DigbeeRe: incorrect maps

Arthur Digbee

To be precise. This one is wrong, as is this one. Look at the rerouting around Sal Hollow campsite to see a minor change between those two maps. But the entire Sal Hollow-Bluffs-Collie Ridge route that both maps show is no longer a maintained trail; instead, there's a new trail from near the Good Springs Loop/Buffalo Trail junction (itself rebuilt) NW, across Dry Prong, to near the Collie Ridge Trail/Collie Ridge campsite junction on those old maps.

Have a great trip!!
Posted Nov 28, 2008 7:27 am

YetiGanter Cave

Yeti

I was just at the Park this weekend, and asked 3 people at the Visitor Center abotu Ganter Cave. They all said they had no idea what I was talking about, one was conspicuously lying. It makes one think that the cave is closed.
Posted Apr 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Arthur DigbeeRe: Ganter Cave

Arthur Digbee

Very interesting! My map clearly shows it, and older park materials clearly state that it's open to the public.

Check out this link.

The trail was gated off (12 foot pole) but clearly visible -- looked like a horse closure, not a "full" closure.
Posted Apr 30, 2009 5:14 pm

YetiRe: Ganter Cave

Yeti

Update: I set out to find it using the same old map. We located the entrance and had lunch in the nice cool breeze coming out of it... but it was caged and welded up tight.
Posted Jun 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Arthur DigbeeRe: Ganter Cave

Arthur Digbee

That would explain why the spur trail now looks like a full closure (October 2012). Info has been stripped from the park website.
Posted Jul 7, 2012 11:25 am