Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 60.80226°N / 148.74776°W
Additional Information County: Anchorage
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 4050 ft / 1234 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Google earth route
Google route trace
 
enroute to trailhead
enroute to trailhead
This is a challenging climb for anyone spending a day in Whittier, AK and I climbed it in June, 2013 while waiting for a 7 day southbound Princess cruise to begin. The hike/climb is approximately 9 ½ miles roundtrip and gains about 4,000’. I climbed it the end of June and would expect that ice ax and crampons are going to be needed year around for this mountain.  
trailhead
trailhead
Once you ascend the initial steep slopes near Portage Pass, you can expect to be using crampons for several miles as you hike along the ridgetop toward the summit.

Route

Whittier from the route
Whittier from base of snow fields
Getting to Whittier is perhaps the main challenge! I spent 20 hours there during a cruise port call. If you are approaching from the Anchorage side, there is a choice between rail or highway and since both share the same tunnel, scheduling is a requirement both ways.

There is a sidewalk that runs along West Camp Road heading west toward the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel/Portage Glacier Hwy from the pier. Hike about 1 mile until you reach the first gravel road on your left. Turn onto that road and proceed to the next turnoff on your right which should have a sign that points toward the Portage Pass trailhead. The trailhead is by the end of this road and also has a sign indicating the trail is going to Portage Pass. 
Steep hillside above pass
steep hillsides


Follow the Portage Pass trail for about 2/3 mile which is the vicinity of the pass and then look for an acceptable route on your right to climb up the steep hillside (~60 degrees).  
start of snowfields
start of snowfields
This is probably the most difficult portion of the climb, especially on the down climb.  
part of the long ridge to the summit
summit is at the end of a long ridge
Try to keep your location noted and look for several cairns along the way which may be an aid. 
summit photo
summit photo (view NE)


Once you climb a couple thousand feet you will probably run into snowfields which can be used to ascend most of the way to the summit if you follow the basic route I traced on Google Earth. Exercise caution along the ridge line as there were numerous cornices along the north side of the ridge. The hike along the ridge is otherwise non-technical and very enjoyable.

Red Tape

There is no red tape involved to climb this mountain

When to Climb

Probably most of the year when properly equipped with ice ax and crampons

External Links

another trip report

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
McCannster

McCannster - Jul 6, 2013 1:27 pm - Voted 9/10

Title correction

Should be 'Maynard Mountain', instead of 'Mount Maynard'. Looks like a cool peak. I'd suggest cleaning up the formatting a little bit on the page, and I'll up my vote. -David

jimegan

jimegan - Jul 6, 2013 2:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Title correction

Thanks for keeping me on course, more or less!!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2