Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.59500°N / 72.847°W
Additional Information County: Rutland
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3840 ft / 1170 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

UNDER CONSTRUCTION



The 10th highest summit in Vermont at 3840 feet, Mendon Peak lies to the east of its well known neighbor, and home of popular ski resort, Killington Peak.

Mendon Peak is trailess, however it does recieve a fair ammount of traffic as it has a place on the New England Highest Hundred, comming in at #86. As with the majority of trailess peaks in the Northeast, a summit canister is at the summit with a logbook for climbers to sign in.

Approach

Mendon Peak can be approached from a number of different directions, some longer than others. The most direct route would be starting from the Bucklin Trail trailhead, but not taking the actual trail. To the right of the trail is a gated road/path, heading in almost the same direction. This unmaintained logging road must be taken to the height of land, roughly 2.5 miles in, and at roughly 3430 feet of elevation. At this point, you leave the logging road and head in a South western direction to the summit bushwacking through the woods. Parts of the bushwack can be thick, especially climbing up the southern side to the false peak. Once the false (east) peak is reached, a well traveled herd path can be picked up taking you a short distance to the true summit, where the canister is located.

Directions to The Bucklin Trail can be found here.


People looking to bag multiple peaks on the trip often bushwack back down to the logging road, and continuing on east. Eventually the logging road gradually disapears, but heading in the general direction on the height of the land will connect you with the Long Trail, just south of the Cooper Lodge, below the summit of Killington Peak.

Red Tape

Common sense.

There are some buildings and logging equipment scattered around the beginings of the logging road to avoid. Also, as with all trailess peaks, practice the "Leave No Trace" motto and do your best not to mark any paths.

Camping

Camping is found roughly .4 miles from the summit of Killington on the Appalachian/Long Trail, and roughly 1.5-2.0 miles from the spot you would leave the logging road to bushwack Mendon Peak.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.