Monroe Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.31940°N / 72.8866°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the "Getting There" section of the mountain main page.

Route Description


The Monroe trail is the most direct and often used route to the summit of Camel's Hump. Monroe trail is 6.8 miles round trip with a vertical gain of 2583'.

At 1500 feet the head of the Monroe Trail is clarly marked by a signpost on the west end of the parking lot. Leaving the parking lot you enter a hardwood forest of birch and maple that dominates the majority of the hike.

After you begin the hike in approximately 200 yards you come to a trail register requesting all hikers sign-in. After you sign-in continue to follow the clearly marked trail southwest, blue blazes. The trail gradually climbs, gaining approximataly 750' of elevation over 1 mile. The trail then bears due west and climbs an additional 250' over a third of a mile before it comes to a junction with Dean trail.

Take the right-hand fork and head north west continuing to climb through hard-wood forest gaining approximately 530' over a half mile. The trail then becomes steeper and again changes direction heading south-west. Over the next .4 miles you climb another 400' before the trail turns to the north. In approximately .3 miles the Monroe Trail is crossed by the Apline Trail. A trail sign clearly identifies the direction of each.

To continue on the Monroe Trail follow the path to the north west. From teh Alpine Trail junction you travel another .6 miles and climb another 350' before you reach the white blazed Long Trail. Follow the often damp Long Trail south to the summit of Camel's Hump. Be sure to stay on the marked path as you enter an artic-apline region with fragile plants and zealous summit caretakers.

To return to your car descend using the same trail.

Essential Gear


Seasonal Gear as needed - recommend crampons and or snowshoes for winter hiking.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.