Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.43048°N / 121.49969°W
Additional Information County: Tehama
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8204 ft / 2501 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
North pan from Mt. Conard
North pan from Mt. Conard. Mt. Diller, left, Lassen Peak, center, Reading Peak, right
Mt. Conard is a composite volcanic remnant in the central area of Lassen Volcanic National Park 4 miles south of Lassen Peak. It is bordered on the west by Mills Creek and on the east by rolling forests and marshy meadows. This smooth topped massif was part of ancient Mt. Tehama a much larger and higher volcano than Lassen Peak. Mt. Tehama continued to expand over 200,000 years to a height of 11,500' and a base 11 miles wide. To give you some perspective, Lassen Peak is roughly 3.5 miles wide at base and Mt. Shasta 13 to 14 miles wide. Brokeoff Mtn., Mt. Diller, Pilot Pinnacle and Eagle Peak to the west are also composite remnants of that ancient giant.
This is an easy walk up hike that can be done in a few hours from 2 roadside trailheads with camping. There are fine views of Lassen Peak and the lesser peaks around it to the north and west. To the south is Mt. Harkness and a sweeping view of Lake Almanor. To the west across Sacramento Valley the Yolla Bolly Mountains of the Coast Range rise in the distance.

Getting There

 
Lassen Peak from Mt. Conard northwest slope
Lassen Peak from northwest slope of Mt. Conard
Mill Creek Falls trail, west side approach class 1: From Interstate 5 turn east on Hwy. 36 at Red Bluff. Go 44 miles east to Hwy. 89. Go north on 89 5.5 miles to the Visitor Center (6,700') just past the park entrance. Take the Mills Creek Falls trail 2.6 miles up the the saddle at the base of the north ridge of Mt. Conard. Leave the trail and take the forested north ridge until it gives way to the smooth open summit at about a mile.
Crumbaugh Lake trail, north side approach Class 1: From Interstate 5 in Redding go east 46 miles on Hwy. 44 to Hwy. 89. Turn right into the park on 89 and drive 17 miles around Lassen Peak to Kings Creek Campground trailhead (7,300'). Take the Crumbaugh Lake trail (same as Cold Boiling Springs trail) 2 miles to the same saddle and take the north ridge.

Red Tape

 
Mt. Conard from Bumpass Mtn. to the north
Mt. Conard from Bumpass Mtn. to the north
This is in Lassen Volcanic National Park and a fee of 10 bucks per vehicle and 5 bucks per person gets you into the park.

Camping

 
Brokeoff Mtn. and Mt. Diller from Mt. Conard
Brokeoff Mtn. and Mt. Diller from Mt. Conard
There are campgrounds at both trailheads. One at the Visitors Center and one at the Kings Creek Campground. You can also get more campground and lodging info at the Lassen Volcanic National Park page.

Lassen Volcanic National Park current conditions

 
Lassen Peak from Mt. Conard north ridge
Lassen Peak from Mt. Conard
Click here for daily updates on road conditions. Click here for weather and snow conditions.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
T. White

T. White - Sep 25, 2021 7:34 am - Hasn't voted

Dixie Fire

As of 09/2021, Mount Conard has been burned in the Dixie Fire.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1