Mount Goode, a Sierra Peaks Section (SPS) list peak, overlooks Bishop Creek. From its small, blocky summit, one has good views of Mount Agassiz, Mount Winchell, and the west side of the Palisade Crest. The easiest route (Southeast Slope from Bishop Lake) is Class 2, but technical routes can be found on the North Buttress, and if you look for it, Class 3 can be found on the traverse from Peak 12,916, 0.5 mi. to the south. This climb can easily be done as a six-hour day hike.
Mt. Goode is most easily reached via the Bishop Pass trail from the South Lake parking area. From Highway 395 in Bishop, take Highway 168 southwest towards the mountains. After fifteen miles, take the South Lake Road turnoff to the south. Follow South Lake Road for seven miles to the parking lot at the end at 9,800 feet elevation.
Take the Bishop Pass trail from the parking lot for about four miles, past South Lake, Long Lake, Spearhead Lake, and Saddlerock Lake. For an ascent of the Southeast Slope, leave the trail before reaching Bishop Lake.
The Bishop Pass trail is in the John Muir Wilderness and is a quota trail. If you will be camping overnight, a wilderness permit is required. No permits are required for day hikes.
When To Climb
Mount Goode is most easily climbed from April through October. Winter ascents might require skis for the approach.
Though this climb is easy to do as a day hike from the parking area, camping is allowed in the areas around the mountain with a wilderness permit (fee required). Water and campsites are pleantiful.
First climbed via the southeast slopes by Chester Veersteeg, July 16, 1939. (Chester Veersteeg, founder of the Desert Peaks Section of the Angeles chapter of the Sierra Club, is second only to Norman Clyde in the number of Sierra first ascents).
The peak is named after "Richard Urquhart Goode (1858-1903), a topographer and geographer with the USGS" (from Peter Browning, Place Names of the Sierra Nevada). The name of Mt. Goode adorned the peak presently called "Black Giant" from 1909 until 1926 when the USGS moved the name to its current peak, and restored the "Black GIant" name to its rightful owner.