South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.12300°N / 118.567°W
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take the Bishop Pass Trail to Bishop Lake. Leave the trail and head west into the canyon SE of Mt. Goode. Travel is easy, first over granite benches, then over compacted sand/talus in the base of the canyon.

Route Description


The easiest, most direct route is to head directly to the summit of Mt. Goode via the Southeast Slopes. If you are taking the South Ridge, you have either done what many other parties have done and climbed the wrong peak (Peak 12,916ft, 1/2 mile south of Mt. Goode, has been dubbed "Mt. No Goode"), or you are looking for a bit more adventure on an otherwise easy climb. As one walks up the broad canyon, Mt. Goode is on the right making up one side of the canyon, Mt. No Goode is at the far western end, and an unnamed prominent peak adorns the left side.

Mt. Goode's Southeast Slope is quite sandy. While it makes a great descent route, it is a fairly tedious and uneventful climb from the canyon. A better climb is to head for Mt. No Goode, located at the far end of the canyon, and from there to traverse the ridge connecting it to Mt. Goode. Mt. No Goode can be climbed directly to the summit on class 2 rock (very little loose sand here). There is a fun class 3 route to the left of Mt. No Goode's summit which can be climbed by many variations up to class 5. Once the ridge SE of the summit is attained, it is an easy climb to the Mt. No Goode's summit.

Once at the summit of Mt. No Goode, another lower summit area further to the west can be seen. This has been dubbed "Mt. Really No Goode." This is a worthwhile detour as it features an exposed class 3-4 climb to a yet lower summit block a bit further to the west.

From Mt. No Goode, the route to Mt. Goode is obvious, following the South Ridge connecting it to the higher summit of Mt. Goode. One needs to first downclimb about 100 feet to the pass crossing the ridge before beginning the ascent to the summit. Easier class 2 climbing can be found on the right side of the ridge where both the slope and block sizes decrease. Following the ridge more directly is closer to class 3 climbing and quite fun. The left side of the ridge is composed mostly of dramatically steep cliffs.

Essential Gear


None required unless climbing in winter/spring, where either snowshoes or skis are essential.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.