Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.67800°N / 105.857°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13234 ft / 4034 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Sniktau
Mount Sniktau | RyanS


Among the top 500 highest peaks in Colorado, Mount Sniktau is a popular outing for those starting to cut their teeth on winter summit attempts in the Colordo highcountry. Ready access from Loveland Pass via US Hwy 6 makes reaching the summit of the peak a relatively short and painless jaunt in any season.

The mountain's popularity is evident as one either trudges up packed snow in the winter/spring or strolls along a footpath worn into the tundra to reach the top of his peak. Views from the summit are expansive, squarely placing Mount Sniktau in the category of mountains offering a lot of bang for the buck. Very near to Denver, Sniktau is a common destination for locals and visitors alike.

Rank: 448th highest peak in Colordo
Prominence: 520 feet
USGS Quad: Grays Peak
Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #104 Idaho Springs | Georgetown | Loveland Pass

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There

Eisenhauer Tunnel
Eisenhauer Tunnel from Mt. Sniktau | Kiefer Thomas



LOVELAND PASS (Standard Route)
From the East:Drive west on Interstate 70. As you approach the Eisenhower Tunnel, take the exit for Loveland Pass. The exit channels you under the highway. Go right and take Highway 6 past the Loveland Ski Area and follow the road to the top of Loveland Pass and park.

From the West:Take I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel. Just beyond the tunnel, take the Loveland Pass exit, make a hard right, passing the Loveland Ski Area entrance and go to the top of Loveland Pass and park. You can also take Highway 6 from Dillon through Keystone resort to the top of Loveland Pass.

SunsetSunset on Sniktau | Niederbayer
My dog Sopris clowning around...Sopris on Sniktau | JonBradford

Red Tape

The final push to the summit...
Final push to summit | miztflip
Mt Sniktau
Late sun on Sniktau | peaks2paddles



There exists little or no red tape in this part of the National Forest, and this peak can be accessed without fees or permits. Please follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principles:

1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
4. Leave What You Find
5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
6. Respect Wildlife
7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors

Weather & Seasons


Click image for avalanche forecast
Thanks to proximity to Loveland Pass Road (US 6), Mount Sniktau is accessible year-round.

- Many peak hikers purposely save Mount Sniktau as a winter trip, in part due to its accessibility even in snow season. Check the weather and avalanche conditions before heading out, however. The winds on this ridgeline can be relentlessly brutal, and the cornices don't suffer fools.
- In the summer, the Loveland Pass area peaks are a nice place to cool off and enjoy the mountain air with minimal effort.

Click image for weather forecast



For updated weather conditions, 9News has a webcam set up near the Eisenhower tunnel, just a mile or two from Mount Sniktau.
On the trailEn route to summit | SteamboatClimber

Camping & Lodging

The Summit - East Slopes
East slopes | altitude14er
Unnamed Tarn
Tarn SE of Sniktau | joegrim



Many (most?) folks aspiring to summit this peak will do so either as a resident of or visitor to one of the Front Range metropolitan areas (such as Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins or Boulder), and thus few will need overnight lodging.

Camping: Camping in the area is very limited and there is no campground in Loveland Pass.

Hotels and Bed and Breakfasts: The nearby town of Georgetown has a few hotels, B&Bs and inns to choose from. Visit this TripAdvisor page for more information on lodging in the area.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Jeff12633

Jeff12633 - Jun 28, 2009 3:35 am - Hasn't voted

Summit Views

Last time I was on Sniktau's summit I counted at least 10 14'ers visible. It's an entertaining exercise to try to pick out as many as you can; there may be more visible in clear weather.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.