Mount Whitney - Mountaineers Route - December 2011

Mount Whitney - Mountaineers Route - December 2011

Page Type Page Type: Album

The Mountaineers Route



In December of 2011 I had the pleasure of joining Josh Lewis and Michael Blake on an ambitious road trip. We climbed Mount Hood, Mount Whitney, Manly Beacon in Death Valley, and Wheeler Peak (NV). This album contains images and video from the second climb of that trip.

For the rest of the trip, check out the Hood album which contains a video. There are also short videos for Manly Beacon and Wheeler Peak.

Cover Image CollageThe Pictorial Summary
Created By Josh Lewis


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 23, 2011 5:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Exciting...

This gets me excited to climb Whitney and Muir in March!

gimpilator

gimpilator - Dec 23, 2011 6:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Exciting...

Really? That's great! Which route are you planning on?

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 24, 2011 1:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Exciting...

Ideally the Mountaineers route but I'm thinking it will be the winter variation of the Whitney Trail route.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jan 3, 2012 11:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Exciting...

Matt, if conditions are looking good, definitely do the mountaineers route! As long as you stay on route, it feels like class 2 at "the worst of it". But we got off route due to an ice patch we did not want to cross.

Nic - Dec 29, 2011 1:04 am - Hasn't voted

Whitney Trail

Do you know the current condition of the Whitney Trail? I am looking to do this next week and want to know what to prepare for.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jan 3, 2012 10:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Whitney Trail

Sorry Nic, I have no idea how the conditions have changed since we were there.

lzpup

lzpup - Mar 8, 2012 11:09 pm - Hasn't voted

notch

Great vid, nicely done. Headed up for a late march attempt. Did you rap down the top section on the way down, saw you setting some screws.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Mar 15, 2012 5:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: notch

In the video Josh and I are actually rappelling down from our approach route to Russell and Carillon. But the ice screws were used to belay me across some water ice on the north face of Whitney a few hundred feet below the summit.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8