Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.69100°N / 105.728°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9656 ft / 2943 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Carrizo Peak is located in the Sacramento Mountains in southern New Mexico. This mountain towers in relative isolation over the nearby town of Carrizozo. Carrizo Peak is the highest mountain in the Sacramento Mountains north of US 380, and is located in the Lincoln National Forest. Carrizo Peak is a dominating landmark in the area. However, despite its prominent stature, few people climb the relatively unknown Carrizo Peak. Overshadowed by the much higher Sierra Blanca, it just doesn't get much attention. But the new field of Prominence has made Carrizo Peak a more important mountain. With a prominence of 2,645', it's just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.


Getting There

From the town of Carrizozo, drive east on US 380 about nine miles to County Road A010. This is also known as Forest Road 441, and the O-Bar-O Road. Turn left, and drive north about five miles on the good dirt road until you reach the Lincoln National Forest sign. This marks the boundary of the national forest. You will pass under an O-BAR-O ranch sign on the way in, but this is a public access road to the national forest. Continue north about two more miles on the worsening Forest Road 441 until you reach the Johnnie Canyon trailhead in Benado Canyon. Park here. You will need a high clearance vehicle to make it all the way in.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Lincoln National Forest, Smokey Bear Ranger District in Ruidoso at 505-257-4095 for the latest information.

Forest Service Map: Lincoln National Forest (Smokey Bear & Sacramento Ranger Districts).
Topo Map: Jacob Spring.

Camping

There are no developed Forest Service campgrounds near Carrizo Peak. The Valley of Fires State Park is the nearest camping area.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
bnmchone

bnmchone - Feb 29, 2016 1:42 am - Hasn't voted

Climbing in Winter

An additional point with the approach discussed here is that Johnnie Canyon fills up with snow and stays that way longer than the rest of the mountain... just looking at the mountain from the south will not tell you the conditions inside Johnnie canyon, which is heavily wooded, so come prepared with snowshoes if there is any chance of snow accumulation in the canyon. I will also say this is a very worthwhile hike for those in the area, and the approach listed here is still valid and accurate as of Feb 2016.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.