Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.21310°N / 117.4512°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3080 ft / 939 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Penstock Ridge



Penstock Ridge is a little peak that stands in the lower reaches of Lytle Creek in the eastern San Gabriel Mountains. A gentle fireroad ascends its crest providing great views of the eastern San Gabriels and western San Bernardinos. This is a good quick hike in cool weather. This could be a good peak to combine with trips to Chalk Peak, Lower Lytle Creek Ridge, San Sevaine Lookout, and Buck Point.

Getting There

Penstock Ridge

Take the I-15 to the Sierra Exit in Rialto. Turn west towards to the town of Lytle Creek. Drive 3.5 miles as the roads turns sharply to the right with a large turnout on the right side. Park here near the dirt road entrance. On the topo this turnout is just after Turk Point.

Route


The fireroad ascends gently to a intersection, take the right fork towards a large concrete structure. Continue up the road as it ascends the rolling ridgeline. Keep straight at the next fork, or to the right. The roads tops out at the summit and then continues down a little further to a tower. Take in the views and return.

Round trip is 3 miles with around 700 feet of gain.

Red Tape & External Links

You will need a Adventure Pass to park at the turnout. Adventure Passes are available at many gas stations and grocery stores along Lytle Creek Road at the Exit from the I-15.

Go to San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
tarol

tarol - Sep 16, 2008 4:57 pm - Voted 9/10

Penstock Ridge

Penstock Ridge is so named because around the turn of the century an aqueduct that takes water from Lytle Creek near the Ranger Station was built to go up and over the ridge. The aqueduct traverses the ridge's northwestern slopes then crosses over the top of the ridge and traverses down in a southeasterly direction until it goes downhill and terminates at a penstock. There the flow of water is still used to make electricity.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.