Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.46620°N / 50.90778°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12326 ft / 3757 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Takht Massif From Navaaskooh


Introduction to Central Alborz Mountains

After climbing the northern peaks of Takht-e-Soleyman massif from south to north, at the north end there will be three places to get to the road and finish the program. The first would be going to Dakooh area on the north east which is very far and it would be better to use one of the two other ways. The second way would be descending west from the western slopes of Mt Looy Na by Daran wild valley. This way is completely virgin and goes to Darjaan village. The slpoes are too steep and there is just one good thing about this way which is that it straightly goes to the village and there is no chance to get lost (the weather in this part of Alborz is so unstable and fog may cover everywhere almost at any time of the day). The 3rd way would be descending to Ghazimahalleh village on Sehezar road.Navaas Kooh is located on the Southeast of GHazimahalleh. This way has a classic route which starts from the summit of Navaas Kooh and goes to Ghazimahalleh after passing Arood Village. Also you can descend from the Rubary Oae Darreh(Rubary Oae Canyon) to the village of Ghazamahalleh which takes you staright to the village but has its hardships. You can't use mules in this canyon and if the water amount is high you will need to use ropes in some places of the canyon.
Navaas Kooh (the changed form of the name Navazesh Kooh) is a nice peak located in the middle of the triangle that the 3 above ways make at the north west slopes of Mt Looy Na.
Its western slopes reach darjan Village, to south it gives a great view of Alamkooh, Takht-e-Soleyman, Langari peaks,Haftkhan peaks etc from Takht-e-Solyman Massif, and its northern slopes go to Sehezar Valley to Gaazimahalleh and Yoj.
Looking at Navaaskooh from Looy Na or other peaks of the northern rigeline of Takht Massif may make you think of this mountain not as a peak but when you get to it and go to the top you will see that it is a very beautiful mountain itself which was so unlucky to be the neighbor of such huge peaks!

Getting There

Northwest view from NavaasKooh


If you are going to climb all the northern ridgeline of Takht-e-Soleyman massif and at last get to Navaas Kooh then you should:
From downtown Tehran drive 40 km west to the town of Karaj and take the Karaj-Chalus Road north (This road crosses the Alborz Mountains taking you through the Kandovan Tunnel to the Caspian Coast). 30 km south of Chalus, you will reach the town of Marzan Abad. Turn left and follow a side road into the Sardab Rood River drainage and to the town of Roodbarak. Distance from Tehran to Roodbarak is roughly 200 km (125 miles).

But if you are willing just to climb this peak you have another choice, you should:
Continue the road until getting to Tonekabon and then get to Sehezar Valley. Ghazimahalleh Village is the place you should start hiking from.

Red Tape

View of Sarbalan Village from Navaas Kooh


There are no permit or fee requirements for mountaineering.

Camping

anywhere. If you used Rubary Oae darreh for camping be careful at night. Rivers in this part of Alborz grow a hundred times bigger than they normally are by a short rain.

Red Tape

There are no permit or fee requirements for mountaineering.

Mountain Conditions

Ghaazimahalleh Village


In summer, the weather is generally clear. Unexpected thunderstorms do occur frequently. Precipitation at higher elevations will almost always be in the form of snow/hail.
If you reach Navaas Kooh from the Ridgeline the wather conditions will be much harder due to elevation but the northern route will be easier mostly not having severe winds in the mornings and at night.