Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.96655°N / 105.29077°W
Additional Information County: Boulder
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7580 ft / 2310 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Nebel Horn from the saddle between it and Bear PeakNebel Horn from the saddle between it and Bear Pk.

Nebel Horn is the name given to the rock formation approximately 0.5 miles northeast of (and 800 feet below) Bear Peak, above Boulder, CO.

The peak is characterized by a large summit block that sits at the top of the Nebel Horn Ridge.

Nebel Horn is one of five named minor summits in the Boulder Group of peaks, the others being Shirttail Peak, Dinosaur Mountain, Flagstaff Mountain, and Mount Sanitas. Each of these peaks sits in the shadows of Boulder's major summits: Bear Peak, Green Mountain, Eldorado Mountain, and South Boulder Peak.

The peak is unranked when using the Colorado Summit Criterion because it has only 160 feet of prominence above the saddle connecting it with Bear Peak.

From the summit, one is rewarded with great views of the Indian Peaks to the west, Green Mountain to the north, the plains to the east, and Bear Peak to the southwest.

Getting There

The logical trailhead to get to the summit of Nebel Horn is the NCAR Trailhead.

Red Tape

Climbing Nebel Horn is prohibited from February 1 through July 31 to protect breeding raptors.

Camping

Camping is not allowed at the trailhead nor is it allowed on Boulder Open Space land.

Seasons

The best time to ascend the peak is spring, summer, or fall. Winter snow/ice would make the class 3 scrambling treacherous.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.