Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.29140°N / 118.6725°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Begin from the summit of Basin Mountain.

Route Description


From the summit of Basin Mountain, head west, dropping a little to the north before heading right along the ridge. Gendarmes along the ridge will create some route finding difficulties, with the need to bypass them around the north and south, but generally the route stays true to the ridge. There is never a need to get further than about 100' away from the ridge. If a bypassing route seems to go further away than that, then that is not the way to go. In general it is more common to drop to the north to bypass obstacles.

The technical crux is a well protected chimney with a chockstone at the top, requiring some stretching to reach the footholds lower down. Most of the route has enough exposure to keep it thrilling, and the rock is very solid.

As one nears the summit, scramble up the ledges just slightly north of the ridge until the summit is reached.

Stats


Distance: ca. 1 mile
Elevation Gain/Loss: ca.+/-500 ft

Essential Gear


10 Essentials, sturdy boots, helmet.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.