Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.62901°N / 90.77638°W
Additional Information County: Cook
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1555 ft / 474 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Northern coast of Lake Superior in Minnesota (That US state’s ‘North Shore’ that stretches to Canada) is an area rich in natural beauty in any season.  Good mountain overlooks are rare in the low slung, heavily forested Sawtooth mountains that line the lake.  Yet Oberg Mountain manages to squeeze 8 overlooks in a circuit of its wooded summit. 

Northwoods – Check.  Sawtooth Mountains – Check.  Lake Superior – Check.  Inland Lake – Check

Oberg Lake from Oberg Mountain
Oberg Lake from Oberg Mountain

It is a beautiful 2.4 mile hike that children and grandparents can enjoy (just over 300 feet of gain).  But definitely keep kids on a tight rein – most overlooks have dangerous cliffs. 

Getting There

Halfway between the towns of Tofte and Lutsen MN on Route 61, the Onion River Road will head north from the highway.  It is hard to spot and about a mile northeast of the Onion River itself.  Drive up the gravel road 2 miles or so and the parking area is well signed on the left.  Park near the road as the trailhead starts immediately east of the road.

Route

From the parking area, cross the Onion River Road that brought you here and walk into the woods. 

Map of Oberg Mountain Routa
Map of Oberg Mountain Routa

After a while the Superior Hiking Trail will leave your trail on the left.  Go right instead and start a gentle but sometimes rocky ascent that will switchback you quickly up to the loop trail around the crown of Oberg and its overlooks.

The rest of the hike can be easily recounted by looking at the overlooks. The trail signs encourage a counter-clockwise direction around the loop.   I will show different seasons as we head around the loop.

 

Leveaux Mountain from Oberg Mountain
Leveaux Mountain from Oberg Mountain
Leveaux Mountain, Carlton Peak from Oberg Mountain
Leveaux Mountain, Carlton Peak from Oberg Mountain

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Superior View - Oberg Mountain
Superior View - Oberg Mountain

 

Lake Superior in January from Oberg
Lake Superior in January from Oberg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oberg Lake from Oberg Mountain
Oberg Lake from Oberg Mountain
Lake Oberg from Oberg Mountain
Lake Oberg from Oberg Mountain

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Red Tape

None.

When to Climb

Any season, though keep in mind that its ease and its highlights make this popular trail - so go early or late in the day.

External Links

North Shore Hiking: Great Book on North Shore Hiking

If you are wanting more hiking nearby...

From Same Trailhead: Leveaux Mountain

About the only thing that you do not see on this hike is a waterfall – and there is a set of fine ones on the Onion River at the bottom of mountain 5 minutes away.

Onion River Falls in Winter
Onion River Falls in Winter


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth Range (MN)Mountains & Rocks