Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.99540°N / 14.69009°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1864 ft / 568 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Obzova (568 mtrs) is the highest peak of island Krk. It is situated on the SW part of the island, between Punat and Draga Bašćanska. The terrain of this mountain is mainly karst with some grass and occasionally bare-ground, while the summit itself and its surrounding peaks are rocky.
Obzova (568 mtrs)Moon-like surface of Obzova seen from Zminja peak












The endless karst landscape of Obzova mountain made of rock, grass and dry stone walls combination gives a unique feeling like you are walking on the moon.
Towards Obzova, the highest...Vid - Obzova summit

Just like on the entire Kvarner bay, there are three predominant winds that are present on this mountain: the cool north wind Bura, humid Yugo and warm Maestral, which blows from the west.

From the lower slopes and plateaus you can enjoy the view of the nearby settlements of Draga Bašćanska and Jurandvor, while the summit offers great panorama views on all sides, starting from Rab, Lošinj and Cres island on one side to Učka mountain, Rijeka town, Grobnik Alps and Velebit massif on the other side.


Island Krk

Nice view from Veli HlamBaška seen from Veli Hlam
Krk is a Croatian island situated near Rijeka town in Kvarner bay, which is in the northern part of Adricatic Sea. Together with Cres, it is one of the largest Adriatic islands.

Krk`s landsape represents an intriguing contrast of natural beauties - from dense forests, rough barren rocky hills and valleys, to picturesque bays and sandy beaches. With a maximum altitude of 568 mtrs above sea level (Mount Obzova), Krk has one of the highest elevations of all Adriatic islands.

The larger towns/settlements on Krk island are Krk, Omišalj, Malinska, Njivice, Punat, Baška, Dobrinj and Vrbnik.

Getting There

Island Krk can be reached by vehicle from the mainland over the big bridge. The bridge can be closed when the wind are very strong! Also island can be reached by plane (airport Krk), by sea with boat and by ferries from island Cres (Valbiska-Merag) and Rab (Lopar- Baska).

Routes

Map of Obzova areaObzova map

The settlements of Punat, Stara Baška, Draga Bašcanska and Jurandvor, situated on the SW coast of the island, are starting points for the shepherd's paths which lead to the island's highest peaks: Obzova (568 mtrs), Brestovica (558 mtrs), Veli vrh (541 mtrs), Zminja (537 mtrs) and Veli Hlam (482 mtrs). There is also starting point from the Treskavac saddle pass on the Punat-Baška road.

There are signs at each starting point with information about the direction and walking time. Along the routes you will find way-marks on stones, while at crossroads directions are written on larger stones.

Best time to visit

Through out the hole year. However in winter, late autumn and early spring there is a strong NE wind (the bura), with gusts being able to knock a person down.

Rock climbing

Rock climbing is possible at Portafortuna crag which is situated above the beginning of Baška valley, on the NE slope of Obzova mountain. The crag is equipped with more than 40 routes, with grades from 4a to 7c. The rock is sharp, water eroded limestone.
Best season to climb is in spring and autumn, but in high summer it is possible to climb in the afternoon, where you have shadow after 1 pm. On windy winter days it would probably get too cold to climb in this area.

More info on: CLIMB IN BASKA

Camping/Accomodation

You can find camps and other accomodation almost in every town/village on the island.
The closest camps are in Baška by the sea.

More informations

Turistic service Baska

Island Krk info

Red tape

Please do not chase sheep and do not jump over or knock down dry stone walls and only pass through existing gate-ways. During spring, summer and early autumn it is possible to come across poisonous snakes (poskok - lat. Vipera ammodytes).
Having our tent with us, we...Vid - Sunset from Obzova mountain

Mountain conditions

Informations on weather conditions in the area can be found on
Croatian State Hydrometeorological Institute site:

weather forcast

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kvarner IslandsMountains & Rocks