Pag - Stogaj

Pag - Stogaj

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.49932°N / 15.03462°E
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Pag is the southest island of Kvarner-gulf (Croatian: Kvarnerski zaljev, Italian: Golfo del Quarnero/Quarnaro/Carnaro; sometimes also Kvarner Bay) and it is the 5th largest island of Croatia. Its length is 60km and its width is varying between 2km and 10km. Its coastal length is 302km. Pag’s direction is NW-SE.

It is one of the rockiest parts of Adrian area. The barren, karstic mountains and white deserts are Moon-like landscape. Sedimentary rocks give you uncommon scenery. The scraggy surfaces of rocks make it very enjoyable rock-climbing area.
Landscape from a tower
















FRUIAAUSANr. of routes
4a - 4cIV - V5.4 - 5.72
5a - 5c+V+ - VI5.8 - 5.10a8
6a - 6bVI+ - VII5.10b - 5.10d7
6b+ - 6c+VII - VIII-5.11a - 5.11c2

Climbing Sections

This area has 4 climbing sections. These sectors are close to each other but sometimes these are hidden, surrounded by rocks. Sometimes you can reach any of them through narrow tunnels. Stogaj’s 19 built routes are in UIAA IV-VIII difficulty. You can find two multipitch routes in sector B. La Vida Loca (5c) is a 3 pitches route, Stigma (5b) is a 2 pitches route.

You can find some other bolts in the walls in the nearby but these are rusty because of the salty sea air. Be careful if you want to use them !

Sectors Name of routes Difficulty Length of routes
A Absolute beginner 4b 10 m
A Shark 6a+ 40 m
A Starec in morje 6a+ 40 m
A Po starom morskom dnu 6c+ 40 m
B Halfmoon 5b 25 m
B La Vida Loca 5c (5b,5c,5a) 60 m
B Stigma 5b (5b, 5a) 60 m
C Prvi koraki 4a 25 m
C Step by step 5a 25 m
D Dehidrirana ovca 5a 12 m
D ? 5c 12 m
D Vino na usnama 6a 12 m
D Paski sir 5b 13 m
D Paski trokut 5c 12 m
D Beach boys 6b 12 m
D CDI 6a+ 15 m
D White snake 6b 15 m
D Skorpion 6b+ 17 m
D Spyder 6b 21 m


The characteristics of routes are flat and vertical.
Type of grip: edge (crimpers), flakes, cracks, holes

Between two sectors...

Best Season

You can climb there in every seasons. The island has own microclimate. Sometimes its walls are dry although there is raining in the close Paklenica.

Meteo Hr

Getting There

You can access the island northern part by ferry and you can drive onto Pag through Pag-bridge (Paski most).

Parking place: You can leave your car in Metajna (12km from Novalja). At the end of the road you can find a large parking place. You must follow the cairns from here and you can reach the climbing area in 15minutes. After some minutes walking you can see the towers of Stogaj. There are two beautiful bays to the right where you can swim after a good climbing day.

Camp

The closest camping is in Novalja (12km from Metajna)

Camping Strasko

Climbing Guide

Croatia rock climbing guidebook - 4th Edition 2007
Climbing guidebook for Croatia


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kvarner IslandsMountains & Rocks