3030 Pan/Tilt Head

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title 3030 Pan/Tilt Head
Manufacturer Bogen
Page By GuitarWIzard
Page Type May 8, 2002 / May 8, 2002
Object ID 284
Hits 6119
Vote
3030 BOGEN BASIC HEAD WITH QUICK RELEASE PLATE

An easy to use pan/tilt head for cameras up to medium format. Full three way action with each axis movement controlled by separate locking handles. Fitted with quick release plate and secondary safety lock for added security.

Pan: 360°
Tilt: -30° +90°
Leveling: -90° +30°

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

GuitarWIzard - May 8, 2002 7:52 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
When I bought my tripod outfit, I got the Bogen 3021 Pro legs with this head, and a tripod bag for $194.00. The only annoying part is if you decide to use the bag (which is lightly padded, by the way....nice feature), you have to take the head off the tripod so that it fits in the bag. Only takes under a minute, though. Very stable head....smooth action, easy to adjust, and the handles don't get in the way. I like the quick release, as it has a little "safety pin" so it can't jus easily pop out with your camera crashing to the ground. Haven't tried the option to use the centerpost to take overhead pictures yet.....perhaps if I ever get a good macro lens and an urge to take a picture of a flower, I might.

Joeyroo - Feb 12, 2003 4:06 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I've used the 3030 head with a 3001 tripod. The head weighs about 1.04 kg (2.3 lbs) and the tripod legs 1.77 kg (3.9 lbs) which gives a total weight of 2.81 kg (6.2 lbs). I hiked up to Glacier Point in Yosemite in the rain/snow with this combo. The quick release twists occasionally when shooting in the vertical aspect . I've since switched to using the arca-swiss type plates and switched to the Acratech Ultimate Ball Head 454g (1 lbs) for lighter weight and no unwanted twisting.



Advantage of 3030: affordable, has quick release

Disadvantage of 3030: the adjustment arms can be bulky when attached to your pack, twisting of the quick release plate, heavy (in relative terms)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2