Alpha SV Bib

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Alpha SV Bib
Manufacturer Arc'teryx
Page By GuitarWIzard
Page Type Apr 28, 2002 / Apr 28, 2002
Object ID 252
Hits 10288
Vote
Technical lightweight bibs are the ultimate alpine pants, with the proven weather protection, comfort and durability of Gore-Tex(R) XCR(TM)

Gore-Tex(R) XCR(TM) 3-layer laminate construction creates lighter, more breathable, durable and compressible rainwear
Articulated seat and knees allow extreme range of motion
Full-length side zips allow ventilation and easy on/off over boots--stop short of harness and hipbelt area
WaterTight(TM) zippers eliminate need for bulky zipper flaps and Zipper Garages(TM) provide a leak-free seal
Elastic drawcord cuffs with easy, 1-handed adjustment, plus internal powder cuff keep snow out of your boots lower leg
Lower legs reinforced and seam-free to eliminate abrasion
Back-waisted drawcord with 1-handed adjustment and easily adjustable suspenders offer a custom fit; through-the-crotch zipper
Features 2 bellowed front pockets and 1 internal security pocket
Arc'Teryx chooses face fabrics that maximize water, oil and soil repellency and abrasion resistance, to offer best initial barrier to the elements. Although slightly stiffer initially (only before washing) they will continue to shed water/snow/contaminants long after other fabrics have become fuzzy, spongy traps to moisture, soil, and oil. To maximize comfortable moisture management in garments, care must be taken to keep them as clean as possible. A soiled outer surface will not allow the 3-layer membrane package to breath properly. The membrane will be unaffected but moisture can be trapped in the garment leaving the user feeling wet. Specifications based on size M. Imported

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Peak Freak - Mar 3, 2003 9:35 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I LOVE THESE PANTS!!!!!!

They are incredibly light & compact. They are very easy to get in & out of with boots on. The waterproof zippers everywhere are great, and there is no velcro to get in the way. The full zip crotch means you can keep your harness & all your gear on when nature calls. They fit better than any others I tried on. They make a huge difference from the old pair I was using before. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

bdewoody - Jan 7, 2004 11:42 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
These pants are great! As the previous reviewer said, they're extremely light and compact. There are two pockets on the front of the chest, great for storing a quick snack or other handy items, there is also an internal pocket on the chest. Each side has a full length zipper, great for ventilating, and putting on boots or gaitors. There is also a zipper that goes for the top of the chest all the through the legs and up to the middle part of the back. This makes going to the bathroom a cinch, great for when its cold and windy out. Perhaps its just the way the bib fits me, but it seems there's some extra room in the chest part, however, this has worked out for the better. The extra room allows me to fit a few extra layers on underneath the suspenders, without having things get bunched up. The legs are also made to allow the pants to bend with the knee, allowing the lower part of the pants to stay down where it should be when you take a big step up.

As far as waterproofness goes, I haven't seen any problems yet. Snow doesn't even stand a chance, it just sheds off the material.

Complaint: The only complaint I have with the pant is that it doesn't have an internal gaitor. This of course can be solved by wearing a separate gaitor.

The price of $400 is well worth it.

Steve Larson - Apr 11, 2005 11:50 am - Voted 4/5

Awesome performance
I've had my Alphas for 4 years now. They're more than I need for most situations, but they shine in burly winter conditions.

They work better than any other Gore-Tex garment I've owned. The fit is great. I always seem to have problems with suspenders, but these stay in place, don't slip, and don't get all twisted up.

I give them my highest rating for technical performance, but they are expensive. An internal gaitor would be nice, though not essential. I wouldn't mind full side zips instead of the 3/4 zip these have. The chest pockets aren't as useful as I hoped. They're usually covered with at least one extra layer, and due to the vertical orientation of the zippers stuff tends to fall out of them the minute you open them. But these are minor complaints relative to the great performance I've gotten out of them.

Bignick - May 28, 2005 1:35 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I've had mine for 4 seasons now and use them exclusively when a bib is needed. These excell in breathability, waterproofness, and light weight. Other bibs I've had have been excessively bulky, heavy when wet, and uncomfortable to wear. Arcteryx have come up with a winner again. Packability, crampon patches, zipper garages, and other features are "icing on the cake".

Dan Dalton - Mar 19, 2007 3:43 pm - Voted 5/5

Incredible!!!
I use these for winter mountaineering, ice climbing, anything... I could not be happier, and other than the steep price, they are worth it. Lots of zippers and places to put things too!

Dan

Viewing: 1-5 of 5