Bod

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Bod
Manufacturer Black Diamond
Page By Martin Cash
Page Type Oct 31, 2002 / Oct 31, 2002
Object ID 532
Hits 5226
Vote
Alpine climbing harness with adjustable quick release leg loops, a full strength belay loop, padded waist belt, and lots of gear loops.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-14 of 14

Martin Cash - Oct 31, 2002 8:56 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
This is a great harness for alpine climbing. The quick release leg loops, lots of gear loops, low weight, and low price made it an excellent alpine harness. I much prefer the Bod to the Alpine Bod because of the belay and gear loops.

At the gym,crags, and waterfall ice climbing this harness is uncomforable for me. The leg loops ride up and hurt big time, no matter how I adjust them. The leg loops are not padded and are quite uncomfortable under full load.

I like this harness a lot for alpine ice and glacier climbing (what it was designed for), but not for anything vertical. I'll be getting another harness for that.

Alan Ellis - Dec 2, 2002 8:36 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Better for the mountains than the crags. Very light weight. I think the one I have is called the Alpine Bod because it doesn't have a belay loop which is very useful when adding or removing clothing.

bigwally - Jan 29, 2003 7:42 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
High Quality Harness at a low price. The BD BOD harness has been around for a while, and we can expect it to be around a while longer. Padding in the right places. Nice wide webbing. Very secure buckle system. Excellent attention to detail in the stitching. It is sized to easy accommodate clothing for every season, from summer t-shirts to winter jackets. Be sure to purchase the model with gear loops, etc. for rock climbing. They are great !!! I like everything about this harness....and even with frequent wear, "frequent flier miles" and chronic abuse, it will last you for years and years. The only problems that I've been aware of are with some of my younger friends who mentioned that their BOD harness shrank, after they turned 40.........DON'T LISTEN TO THEM !!!!!!

keema - Jul 24, 2003 9:10 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have the Alpine Bod Harness. No belay loop nor gear loops. Was able to make my own gear loops with cordage and tubing. It is quick and easy to open the leg loops for adding or taking off layers. It is comfortable on glacier slogs. The only vertical I have used it is in the gym and have had no problems. I have no compalints.

marygilbert - Oct 12, 2003 11:03 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
In my rock climbing, I Love this harness !!! Perhaps it is because I started with a "way-used" and old Whillans Harness that I was given..or perhaps because my next harness was a "lightweight" sport-type that just cut into me when I rapped or hung-out at a belay. It seems to be padded in the right places for me and has a very re-assuring buckle system. I guess that I'll Love it until I find a better one....but I haven't found that yet.

DukeJH - Nov 24, 2003 5:52 pm - Voted 4/5

Bod Works Well for Me
I have the Bod. It has a padded waistbelt and gear loops. This harness is very comfortable but I wouldn't use on a big wall due to the unpadded leg loops. For day trips to the crags and for climbing instruction it is a great harness. The gear loops are strong and the droppable leg loops allow you to add layers or raingear if required. I especially like the fact that this harness has a belay loop in the front and a haul loop in the back.



My son has the Alpine Bod. It is essentially the same harness sans gear loops, belay loop and waist padding. In my opinion, the Alpine Bod is better suited for the alpine/mountaneering environment than rock climbing due to the limited padding and missing belay loop.

ScottyS - Feb 3, 2004 12:47 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is my do-all harness for the times I go out and pretend I'm a climber. It is fairly comfortable, with handy gear loops. It feels solid, and has done a great job whether hitting the Palisades or the local crags. I wish it were smaller and lighter, but I usually say that about everything....

scottfromcali - Mar 31, 2004 10:22 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
A great all around harness. Big sturdy gear loops that accpet a lot of gear. A loop out back for chalk bag, belay device or whatever. Lightwieght, and well built. Its a bit uncomfortable for extended hanging around, hanging belays. Still five stars.

pjc30943 - Apr 9, 2004 8:54 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This review is over the Alpine Bod harness.

The newer version does have gear loops, in contrast to earlier reviews.



The Alpine Bod has no extras, and so is lightweight and inexpensive. I use it for mountaineering where falls do not occur often; any other use is too painful because of the lack of padded loops and belts.

The ability to unclip the leg loops, and remove pants without removing the harness, is a huge plus.



I can see no negatives, as long as one knows what they are getting, and for what purpose. It is very durable, easy to adjust, and has four great gear loops. Did I mention it was lightweight?:)



Well worth the money.

Genghis Climber - Apr 22, 2005 3:27 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
A good harness

the gear loops are convient and the fit is generally good. A great harness for mountaineering but is less desirable for sport climbing. The lack of padding can do a number on your groin during a fall, so it isn't ideal for general rock climbing unless you have some padded clothing under the harness.

Ski Mountaineer - Apr 22, 2007 2:25 pm - Voted 2/5

what is the hype about?
I own one of these, but they are too heavy for too little comfort, and the buckles drive me nuts with cold fingers. No, thanks.

Mountaineer8000m - Jun 14, 2007 11:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Great
I love this harness because of it's compromise between a alpine and a rock harness, I would reccomend this if you only want to buy one harness for a great price.

vtgrasso - Aug 1, 2007 9:02 am - Voted 5/5

Sound piece of gear
I have used this Harness for three years and it has always preformed well whether in the mountains or trad it has always had enough of what I needed. Light weight, good gear loops, and ease of getting on and off. It was uncomfortable for hanging belays so I purchased a more appropriate trad harness. A good all around lightwieght harness to own.

stepho - Jun 15, 2008 4:37 pm - Voted 5/5

Good Harness
This harness is excellent for alpine climbing. It is comfy and not to heavy. It is also very well made and affordable.

Viewing: 1-14 of 14