Expedition 36

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Expedition 36
Manufacturer The Noth Face
Page By bigwally
Page Type Feb 25, 2003 / Feb 25, 2003
Object ID 683
Hits 7725
Vote
Ideal for a base camp headquarters, this unique shape and pole sleeve construction set the standard for wind and snow stability in an expedition tent.



Capacity: 3+

Standard Weight: 11 lbs 11 oz (5.30 kg)

Total Weight: 12 lbs 10 oz (5.73 kg)

Height: 51" (130cm)

Floor: 94" x 72" (238cm x 183cm)

Area: 48 ft² (4.5 m²)

Vestibule area: [Front] 15ft² (1.4m²) [Rear] 9ft² (.8m²)

Number of Poles: 6

Stuffed Size: 25" x 9" (63 cm x 23 cm)



Summit Series, DAC Featherlite SL Poles, Continuous Pole Sleeves





Taped, nylon taffeta true bucket floor coated to 10,000 mm hydrostatic resistance

DAC Featherlite SL aluminum poles

Continuous pole sleeves

Color-coded canopy and flysheet webbing

Internally adjustable zippered top vents with mesh screens

Dual doors with dual vestibules

Multiple guy-points

Hoop vestibule pole for additional room in front vestibule

Reflective guyline loops, guylines and glow-in-the-dark zipper pulls

Durable polyurethane windows, cold-crack tested to -60 degrees F

Fly-only pitching

Compatible with TNF #2 Gear Loft

Internal pockets

Compression stuffsack included

Download and read the tent pitching instructions (PDF Format).



Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

bigwally - Feb 25, 2003 4:42 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
NEW tents with the Old Reliable Technology!! I was searching for a replacement for my trusty, and now 20 year old TNF Oval Intention. The tent has been Great and the Life-Time Warrenty has been simply supurb!! When cattle, and once a bear, broke some of the poles, they were rapidly replaced . When the marine environment of sea kayaking fouled a zipper, it was speedily repaired. When the UV finally ate the rain-fly all together, TNF offered me ANY new tent at half-price....

I have considered that the strength of the Oval Intention was due to its design and the fact that it has 6 poles. Strength is related to "crosses" with the poles, and I'll spare you the permutations, so that we can all conclude that there are many more "crossing" possibilities with 6 poles rather than 4 poles. Much to my delight, I found that TNF has 2 new tents, this spring, with more than 4 poles. One of them is this Expedition 36!! It advertizes 6 poles, but the one is for the kitchen vestibule, but that still leaves 5 structural poles !! Additionally this new tent has many of the fine features that I cherish in the Expedition 25 TNF that I also own. There are 2 doors (I don't think that I will ever want to own another tent with only 1 door) and a very funtional cooking vestibule !! The rain fly can pitch without the tent, and there are tie-downs galore!!! Additionally this new Exped. 36 has ceiling vents and a "window" in the rain fly.

It LOOKS to be a fine tent. But in Truth, that's about all that I know about it. If you know more, please pass on the information.

I really wish that I could have the Oval Intention repaired and returned....but perhaps it is Time to Move On. That tent stood up, sooo many times, while others blew down....it provided such a Wonderful, high quality shelter, while Horrible conditions Howled outside, just inches away.....and if that tent could talk it would just breath hard..... THANK YOU NORTH FACE.



awagher - Apr 15, 2005 1:55 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I had the chance to use this tent at Iceberg Lake below Mt. Whitney in winter conditions. We did not get a great deal of wind but the little wind we had did not budge the tent. The tent jammed 4 of us in there (a little tight). With all of the poles I could not imagine it having problems in high wind. The windows worked well for ventilation. No condensation even with 4 people. A bit on the heavy and bulky side for my taste.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2