Guide Water Filter

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Guide Water Filter
Manufacturer Pur
Page By marcminish
Page Type Jul 18, 2002 / Jul 18, 2002
Object ID 413
Hits 3691
Vote
  • Easy-grip, ergonomic handle and anti-slip, cushioned base supplies stability and leverage for easy pumping action on all surfaces
  • Anti-clog, pleated glass-fiber element has over 140 sq. in. of filtering surface area; 0.3 micron screens particles, protozoa and bacteria
  • Activated-carbon core adsorbs chemicals and removes odors for better water quality
  • Pre-filter at hose inlet filters larger contaminants before they reach the main filter, increasing its life span
  • Includes a carry sack and bottle adapter that fits most water bottles

Reviews


Viewing: 1-4 of 4

marcminish - Jul 23, 2002 12:19 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I've had mine for about three years now and it has worked very well. I did have to replace a broken plunger handle, but when I called PUR about it they mailed me a new one free of charge. Beyond that it has worked flawlessly. It is also easy to tell when the filter needs replacing because it will become harder to pump. The water always tastes clean even when I've pumped water from a mosquito ridden mud puddle.

cluck - Sep 24, 2002 5:33 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I've used this filter in the backcountry for two years and think it's great because of two reasons; ease of use and flow rate. This is perhaps the easiest purification system I've seen. Pur wisely made the attachment fit both large and small mouth nalgene bottles securely and easily. Just drop one end in the water and shove the other on your bottle and start pumping.



The real beauty of this thing is that it can fill a nalgene quicker than you can say "I'm thirsty." 35 pumps will transform a liter of water from a stagnant pool into a bottle of clear, safe drinking water.



Drawbacks:

1. It is bulkier and heavier than some others

2. Everyone in your climbing party will be using your filter to fill up.

Brett A - May 27, 2004 2:14 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
While I don't actually own this, I have used several of them extensively on boy scout 50 milers. We usually have 3 of them for 12-15 people for a week. By the end of the trip, the filters get pretty clogged up which makes pumping difficult but possible. This can usually be avoided by putting a coffee filter over the intake of the hose with a rubber band, and avoiding silt.

If you are really serious about keeping the water clean, you should keep the intake and outake hoses in separate zip-lock bags.

Overall a good pump, a little heavy, but it beats the taste of iodine.

awilsondc - Jul 25, 2007 12:54 am - Voted 5/5

Love it!
Of the five water treatment methods I have personally used this one is my first choice. I've used the Pur (now Katadyn) Hiker, the MSR Miniworks, iodine tabs, and some old-school pump my dad had (no clue...). The Guide is faster than any of the pumps mentioned above, and always makes delicious water, although I've yet to use it from a crappy water source... always a running water source. The Hiker is comperable (slower but lighter and more compact), the Miniworks has had serious maintainence issues, iodine tastes like crap, and the old-school filter was... well... really OLD. I love this fliter... ease field maintainence too.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4