Half Dome Plus 2 Tent

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Half Dome Plus 2 Tent
Manufacturer REI
Page By rcorby2
Page Type May 29, 2002 / May 29, 2002
Object ID 322
Hits 7716
Vote
Backpacker Magazine's Editors' Choice Award for 2002!

Low, wind-shedding, two-pole design, upgraded with two doors and vestibules for super-convenient entry/exit and separate storage areas

Full-coverage, UV-resistant, taut polyester rainfly protects the tent; two upper vents provide excellent airflow to prevent condensation

Clear film window in rainfly lets you view the weather conditions from inside tent

Large D-shaped doors with no-see-um mesh panels and no-see-um mesh front and rear windows allow cross-ventilation, preventing condensation

Features pole clip system with DAC Featherlight aluminum poles and locking pole tips for easy setup

Set-in perimeter floor seam keeps seam up off the wet ground for a nice, dry, taut pitch

Factory-sealed rainfly and center floor seams ensure waterproof protection

Attention to detail includes features like reflective guy points and zipper pulls, and adjustable ladderloc tiedowns on the rainfly

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-9 of 9

rcorby2 - May 29, 2002 9:35 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I just purchased this tent a couple weeks ago and had my first outing with it last weekend, hiking up to Mt Charleston in Nevada. The tent is roomy enough for two average sized people, each 5'10" tall and some of their gear. The two large vestibules at both entries are excellent. My climbing partner and I both loved having two separate entries. Inside the tent are two thoughtful mesh pockets and a mesh pocket at the top of the tent - great for storing little tidbits of gear. Fortunately it didn't rain and wind gusts were at a minimum, so I can't really speak to the performance of the tent in those conditions; however, as soon as I can I will update this review. Ventilation in this tent is EXCELLENT. Both doors are mesh as well as additional patches in the tent walls. The top of the rain fly has two openings, which can be 'propped' up for additional ventilation when the rain fly is on. Also, the rain fly has a convenient little plastic window in it. With two people, the tent is a cinch to get set up, it only uses two aluminum poles. Weighing a little over 5lbs, the weight is OK. The zippers work quite well. Overall, I am pleased and look forward to using it again. The price is right at $150 (used 20% coupon when I purchased it and saved a little!). 4 stars for now until I can see how it does in the rain and win. Can hardly wait! :-)

UPDATE-22July02-Just got back from a weekend on North Manitou Island on Lake Michigan, BIG t-storm blew hard for about 2 hours non stop, dropping tons of water. Tent did great, only let a tiny bit of water in. Also had all of my gear inside (along with my girl friend and her gear).

NYC007 - Nov 5, 2002 6:37 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I have had my tent for about 8 months now and taking out about a dozen times and doesnt show muc h wear or tear. Its withstood 35-40 mph wind during a rainstorm and I stayed dry as a bone.. The only problem is when you open the outter door you have to be careful cuz water can easlier leak in. All and all its a great, stormproof, lightwieght, affordable, 2 person shelter....

jhalz - Feb 18, 2003 10:59 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Had my Half-Dome Plus for several months, it was a great backpacking tent. Fairly light, inexpensive and roomy. However, my did not fair too well in 60mph gusts at 9,000ft. on Mt. Adams. But for general backpacking, it's a great tent.

43moon - May 25, 2003 6:52 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
So far, so good. I have only used my REI Half Dome Plus 2 twice now, and it has done a good job so far. It had no structure/moisture problems with a few inches of snowfall. Another time it wasn't tested by snow or water, but it remained fairly comfortable on a night that dipped down into the high teens. It also held firm in a windy situation. I have not used it in a high heat yet, but as of this point, there hasn't been any apparent condensation issues.



Very easy to setup and take down.



The door can be a little difficult to open and close due to tension on the zipper, but I suspect that may be user error that I need to resolve.



I shall revise this review after some warm weather usage, and perhaps some rain exposure.

Brett A - May 27, 2004 2:37 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I bought this about 3 years or so. It was definately a great purchase. The duel vestubules are great and I like the waterproof window. It is a little cramped with two people, but that's to be expected. The weight is a little much but the lightweight poles help ease that a bit.

I've been completely satisfied with this tent for 1-2 week backpacking trips. For the value it can't be beat.

Ardvark - Jan 18, 2005 3:42 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I gave the half dome 5 stars based on value. As a scout master, I see loads of budget tents. The half dome is hands down the best value under $200 for an all round tent. It's light enough that young boys can tote it back packing. It's storm worthy enough that they can use it snow camping in the Cascades. It's durable enough that it can survive abuse from inexperienced users. And, with two vestibules, the scouts actually have a chance of coming home with their own gear.



Both of my sons have one of these. My oldest got it for full price. My youngest got his at the REI warehouse sale for $20 as a return! Apparently, the first owner thought the fly leaked, which it probably did since he didn't seal the seams.

DudeThatMustHurt - Jul 28, 2005 3:03 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
I am on my second HD+2.



My first was a joke, last october I was camping @ the Mesa Lakes outside of Grand Junction CO and was for the record only the second time I had used the tent. I setup the rain fly as normal and BARELY had it taught and from the logo down nowhere near a stitch the fly tore 15+inches right down the middle, there were no abraison signs or prior tear areas, it just tore.... This was not good due to the fact that we had snow 4 of the 5 nights out. I have owned more than enough tents to know when I am and am not making something to "Taught" and this was not one of those times,



In regards to the Tent it'self, Pros and Cons



PRO'S

Excellent space and headroom

awsome to include the gear loft

priced right

lots of gear space outside of the tent

great SQFT to cook dinner on a stormy night



CON'S

my damn fly ripped?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

a bit heavy but hey it's not a Hilleberg

Footprint should be included with every tent

could be more "taught" around the floor area

csmcgranahan - Nov 19, 2005 7:31 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I've had this tent for nearly three years and have had a good experience with it. Pro's and Con's based on my experience:



Pro's:

Affordable

Plenty of vestibule space (2 sides)

Gear loft included

2 doors makes access easy with two people



Con's:

Footprint is not included

Heavier than more expensive tents

TomSellick - Sep 7, 2007 12:07 am - Hasn't voted

great except in really strong wind
As stated in one of my other posts, this makes a great backpacking tent, but did not hold up against 65mph wind on Mount Shasta no matter how I staked it down. I think the 2 pole design just can't hack it under such wind. I've had this tent under a foot of snow, however, and it did fine. It's that sideways gusting wind that tames it. Otherwise, a great tent. I understand that the "new" version might be a little sturdier, but don't take it from me.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9