Hyperlight AST

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Hyperlight AST
Manufacturer Sierra Designs
Page By b.
Page Type Feb 16, 2004 / Feb 16, 2004
Object ID 1006
Hits 6238
Vote
The Hyperlight AST is a light weight backpacking tent from one of the industry leaders. This tent uses the Clip Loc and Jake's Corner technology, keeping pitch time to a minimum and strength at a maximum. The floor is constructed from 2.6 oz. polyurethane coated nylon taffeta, the shell from 1.4 oz ripstop nylon with plenty of mesh for ventilation. The fly is made of 246 thread count nylon with polyurethane/silicone coating and has 7 tie down attachments for anchoring against wind. The Jake's Corner gives added strength to the two pole design while keeping weight down. With a separate ground sheet, the fly and poles, the Hyperlight converts into an ultralight shelter for those looking to reduce weight.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

b. - Feb 16, 2004 6:33 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
I love this tent. It works really well for my system, is light enough, roomy enough and sturdy enough to trust in the Rockies during the summer. That said, it probably is not for everyone. I camp with my wife mostly, and we fit well in the tent. But the floorplan is such that two full grown men would probably end up playing footsie by nights end. In the Fast Pack set-up there is plenty of room for two climbers of any size. This tent has held up to wet snow in the Cirque of the Towers, wind in the Tetons, and the destructive powers in the trunk of my car very well. Set up is quick (as with all SD tents) and it takes up little of the precious space in my pack. The price is pretty good, too.

peak duster - May 22, 2004 2:12 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have had my Hyperlight for a year now and the freestanding design is easy to set up and easy to move around if you want to relocate the tent in the rain or ect. With 43 square feet floor space this tent has few equals. And I love the bright accommodations too. But you can just barely fit two 20”x72” Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads in this tent, so a short and a large Pad might be a better choice. I also bought the portable attic Gear loft for $18, I don’t use it much because it makes me feel Closter-phobic. I think the tent would be dangerous in six plus inches of snow because all air flow is at the floor of the tent. The hyperlight tent comes with yellow rain fly that looks like a giant honeycomb, it seems to attract the bugs. A green rain fly might be a better bet.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2