Ice Screw

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Ice Screw
Manufacturer Omega Pacific
Page By marcminish
Page Type Sep 27, 2002 / Sep 27, 2002
Object ID 484
Hits 8024
Vote
The parabolic shaped threads achieve some of the highest pullout strengths possible. Precision milled 4130 CrMo and heat-treated for extra strength and polished to shining perfection, each screw is nickel plated for long-term durability and to minimize friction. The hangers are stamped from 4130 CrMo steel and are large enough for easy placement even with mittens. Comes fitted with Omega's "coffee grinder" Knob handle, which makes insertion and retraction a breeze.

Online Resources:

Similar Products: Black Diamond Express Screw, Grivel 360° Screw

Reviews


Viewing: 1-7 of 7

marcminish - Sep 27, 2002 12:39 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
My favorite kind of ice screw to use because they are cheaper than most brands and just as good. They are much easier to start than 360 degree screws and almost as easy to extract. Thanks to the little knob handle and a bent hanger, I have never had to ratchet them in or out with my tool.

Martin Cash - Mar 1, 2003 12:32 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I bought these ice screws because they were on sale, and I've been happy with the performance so far. They racked nicely unto my harness using 5 at a time. I see what the previous reviewer meant about the knob. I would not biner these to a harness, because of that problem. Use a clipper like the one made by Black Diamond.

I've had a chance to use the Black Diamond screws as well, and the Omega Pacific work just about as well. So for the money (60% of the price), I prefer these.

sshankle - Jan 4, 2004 6:58 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Martin hit the nail on the head. I could not have said it better.



Use the clipper for better racking. Mine do not start as easy as the BD, but they have made improvements. The newer ones (handle is not painted black) are advertized to start better....

scottfromcali - Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Picked up four of these screws for $100 not bad eh? I may use them a half dozen times in the next 10 years but hey. I did practice placing them a few times when I first got them and have been pleased. Theses are my first experiance with ice screws so I dont have any other experiance to go on but they are good. Racking them can sometimes be troublesome, otherwise they place and retract easily.

NYC007 - Nov 30, 2004 1:41 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
this is a review for the newer model with the gold hanger.

They start very fast and fracture less ice than the express screws do. They eye takes 2 full size biners which is great at belays. The knob that doesnt go down hasnt got in my way yet, so no complaints.

Mike N - Jan 16, 2006 3:28 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Bought these on sale at EMS, around $28. I chose these because of their strength, hanger, and speed knob. They go in nicely. In fact, the first one I placed was left handed and it went in smoothly. They are very sharp and have deep threads. I have used the BD Turbo Express in the past and they go in just as well. The only difference is that the speed knob is not retractable. I have not found this to be a problem, yet. These screws seem just as good as the Turbo Express at half the cost. Also considered the Climb High screws but read so many bad reviews, even at $12 I could not break down and buy them. These Omega Pacific screws are great and I would buy more in the future, even at full price.

kheegster - Jan 20, 2010 2:15 pm - Voted 5/5

Great screws
I've been using these screws for over a season now, but I never had anything to compare them to until recently, when I used a friend's BD Turbo Expresses. In terms of placements, the OP go in just as well as the BD's. People complain that the OP's knobs don't fold down but I've never found this to be a problem when racking on ice clippers. In fact I find the OPs rack better on BD ice clippers than the BD screws! For $30 each, this is one of the best gear purchases I ever made.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7