ZOOM

 

ZOOM
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title ZOOM
Manufacturer Petzl
Page By Diego SahagĂșn
Page Type May 27, 2002 / Jan 19, 2007
Object ID 299
Hits 3861
Vote
The best selling headlamp, Zoom is perfectly balanced from front to rear and the soft plastic battery case sits comfortably behind the head. The light source is directable and the Zoom bezel allows the width of the beam to be adjusted. Rechargeable batteries duration: 7 h (3 h 30' halogen). Also it has a space for holding the spare bulb.



Prices are those in Spain.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-10 of 10

Diego SahagĂșn - May 28, 2002 5:10 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Very good headlamp, I've got one since 1990. Only the elastics have been enlarged and I had to change the bezel too. Light, comfortable, it can work with a single battery. An halogen spare bulb is advisable.

GuitarWIzard - Jun 3, 2002 11:33 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I've got one of these in addition to the Petzl Arctic....only difference is the battery pouch, really. Trying to negotiate the rubber seal on the Zoom with frozen fingers in winter can be a real challenge. However, it seals extremely well. Very bright with the halogen bulb. I would probably forgo the 4.5v battery and use 4AA lithium batteries....a little bit lighter in weight, and lithium batteries last longer. The beam focuses quite well, which is handy depending on what you're doing. The little LED lights are far lighter in weight, but I'll stick with my "big and bulky" headlamps until the LED's output rivals that of the big boys...

keema - Jul 3, 2002 8:12 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
A very versatile head lamp. I like balance with the lamp in front and battery on the back of my head. It is comfortable on a bare head in camp. The straps adjust pretty easily to fit on a helmet. The size of the beam and angle of the light are easily adjusted for the work you are doing whether it is cooking late, heading down the trail or looking at cave features.

geoffcasey - Aug 30, 2002 8:38 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
If I had to choose the "classic" headlamp this would be the one. It's a great piece of gear. I've had mine for at least 10 years and it still works great. I don't think I've even had to replace the bulb. It comes with a spare bulb holder. The three strap design helps keep the lamp situated on a helmet. The zoom feature is helpful for fine tuning the beam depending on the situation. For extreme cold situations you might want to consider the version that has a detached battery pack.

marcminish - Dec 13, 2002 1:27 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Pros: The headlamp performs well with a halogen bulb. Adapts well to a helmet as well as your bare head and is well balanced.



Cons: The lamp can turn on inside your pack. My lamp broke as a result of being overtightened with a slightly larger than normal bulb.

bigwally - Mar 2, 2003 2:07 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
The PETZL ZOOM is certainly the Industry Standard for conventional headlamps. Highly reliable, easy on the batteries, nice headstraps along with all of the Functions that you could want in a headlamp, with none of the Frills.I've had mine for more than 10 years.



I believe that this headlamps gives you the Most Bang For The Buck. The headstraps work nicely, both on a bare head and over a hat or helmet. The balance, with the batteries counterbalancing the headlamp is simply the Best. The Zoom is highly functional and Free of the "black spot" that characterizes the performance of the PETZL MINI. There is a space for a spare bulb, right in the headlamp !!! I use 4 AA batteries, over the host of other options, and have found their pwer to be more than adequate and long-lasting.!! Its Not the lightest headlamp out there, but then its NOT the heaviest either. It is, however, a product that is Full of Function and Totally Devoid of Bullshit.....Those are 2 traits that I cherish in any product that I need to rely on!!

William Marler - Mar 3, 2003 9:27 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I have owned this item since 1987. It is still going strong. While the batteries tend to be on the heavy side. I have never had it fail on me. Fits on my helmut well. Can be a tad uncomfortable when worn without a hat. Tangled in hair ect. I suppose most are like this. I have no real complaints on this item. I use the regular bulb to preserve battery life.

dsnell - Aug 6, 2003 12:05 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I have owned two Petzl Zooms. The first one eventually gave out after about 8 years when the elastic stretched out so much it wouldn't stay on a helmet. The light also became dim near the end of its life (even with a new battery), which I attribute to corrosion in the battery leads. The one I bought 6 months works very well.

All in all, the Zoom is a very durable headlamp for a very good price. It works well with a helmet and burns for ages (20 some hours) with the standard Duracell battery. It gives off plenty of light, can be adjusted up or down, and can be adjusted to zoom in or out. Comes with a spare bulb that fits neatly behind the ligth.

As one other review states, the light has a tendency to turn on in your pack. Simply disconnect one of the battery leads to prevent this from happening. I have also found that, if you fold and double over the pieces of metal on the battery to which you hook the leads, the leads stay on better and the light won't flicker as much.

farkenclimbin - Feb 12, 2004 8:41 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I've had my Zoom for about a year and I am very happy with it.



Pros: easy to put on and light wieght. Strong lighting.



Cons: the adjustable headlamp is not the easiest to work with. Mainly when I am wanting the light at a steep angle toward the ground.

mtnbnd - Dec 27, 2013 1:26 pm - Voted 4/5

Nice lamp
I have had mine for years and used it for night climbing, winter mountaineering, caving, and night time white water rafting. Fits well one both my helmets. Works well, not the best on battery life.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10