Myo XP

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Myo XP
Manufacturer Petzl
Page By Lortnoc
Page Type Dec 8, 2005 / Dec 8, 2005
Object ID 1522
Hits 4688
Vote
Petzl's newest LED-light has won numerous awards and tests (Op-Pad & Klettern magazines).

It features 3 lighting levels, a boost mode for up to 65 meters of light and a blinking mode. You can pop-up a wide angle lens for a broader beam for proximity lighting.
It also features a battery life indicator and the package is weatherproof. It operates on 3 AA batteries.

Normal things as a tiltable design, elastic headband are also present.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Derek Franzen - Jan 25, 2007 5:27 am - Voted 5/5

MYO XP
I never would have thought that a LED headlight could be this bright; on the brightest setting I can easily scan 40 yards. I started using this headlight last November for running after work. The LEDs are more than adequate for trail running in the dark and usually I use the second brightness level. The batteries last an exceptional length of time. With the battery pack stored in my chest pocket the whole works fits lightly on my head. This is an easily used, functional and great headlight.

Dan the Jones - Jan 26, 2007 6:30 pm - Voted 4/5

Former MYO XP
I duality of this light is great for all types of circumstances and conditions. The multiple settings on the LEDS allow for comfortable range of of brightness. The one problem that I ahve had with this headlight is the battery case seems to allow water into it quite easily, make sure this part of the headlight stays very dry.

Kenneth.alone - Nov 3, 2007 10:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Not so impressed.
Bright for an L.E.D. lamp.

However... the lamp on high is bright but fails to provide the long distance visibility that one leading on a glacier, ice climb or densely treed areas might wish they had.

The boost function is, honestly, stupid. Most manufacturers call this bright feature "high" and give you the option to leave it on longer than the 20 seconds the MYO XP allows. Also the power and boost buttons are so small that it is nearly impossible to operate them with gloves or even cold hands.

The light diffuser that provides the broad, short lighting is great on a summer moth watching trip but once again useless with cold, tired or gloved hands as it is too small to access with covered or cold hands. It also manages to break easily when it is left resting out.

The MYO XP is a bright LED torch but falls far short of many of the other options. After several trips, I have returned mine.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3