Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.73758°N / 106.32822°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13220 ft / 4029 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Peak E is a highpoint along the Ripsaw Ridge. It is one of four mountains which dominate the view from Piney Lake (to the right of Mount Powell, Peak C and D). It is a rugged and rarely climbed mountain.

Getting There

Take I-70 west from Denver to  Vail. Take Exit 176 and drive West on the frontage road 1 mile. Take a right turn on Red Sandstone Rd.  and drive 11 miles on County Road 700 and 701. Pavement ends after 1/2 miles. CR 700 is a pretty bumpy road with tons of washboard. Keep on going straigth on CR 701 at the junction of CR 700 and 701. CR 701 is in very bad shape. TONS of potholes and rocks sticking out. High clearance / 4x4  vehicle is preferable but a normal sedan can make it too in dry conditions- but you need to take it VERY slow. Park outside the gate of the Piney River Ranch.

Route

There are three options to get to the top of Peak E. Scrambling up the talus slopes from the Piney River Valley, climbing up the snow colouir from the Black Creek Valley or scrambling along the Ripsaw Ridge from Peak D or F.

Red Tape

You will hike the entire time in the Eagle's Nest Wilderness. Please abide to all wilderness regulations to keep this place pristine.

Piney River Ranch is private property. Make sure you stay on the trail circumventing this place to avoid trespassing.

When to Climb

From spring to falll. 

Forest Service is closing CR 701 from late fall until spring. If you want to climb in early spring or late fall, please call NFS  (970) 827 5715 to make sure road is open and passable.

Camping

Scattered options along the Piney Valley Trail for camping . Basin below Peak D (from Piney Valley) and along Bubble Lake (Black Creek) are great camping spots.

SunsetSunset

 

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.